CB tx ruin scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonDickson

I have been spending too much time online and now worry about these people talking about "leaky transistors" on their BCD396xts. Anyone hear about this? I plan on eventually getting a mirror mount antenna for my scanner to put in my 18wheeler. The tractor has two factory installed antennas on the mirrors themselves that i think both run to the cb. Will having my scanner antenna mounted basically on top of the cb antennas cause my scanner to melt down or overload? Is it possible that only one of the factory installed antennas is for the cb and the other is for the fm/am and television? Anyone got some advice on that one?

Thanks,

--Jon

r_eugene1

I wouldn't mount the scanner antenna close to your CB antenna(s), as this may/will interfere with your CB transmissions as well as scanner reception. I don't believe that you will "melt down" the scanner but it is very possible that you may blow the receive out of the scanner depending on the power out put of your CB. But each application is different from the next.
Maybe some other readers can give you their ideas/opinions on this.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I would avoid the mirror mount scanner antenna, and put something on the cab roof. I don't think a legal power CB is going to hurt a scanner who's antenna is no closer than a couple of feet away from the CB antenna. I've run multiple 100 watt class radios in my vehicles for 30+ years, and NEVER have had a damaged receiver. Try to keep at least a couple of feet of separation.

LtDoc

In no particular order...
It's a good idea to keep antennas away from each other. How far? How about as far as practical? I think if you have other options that I would put the antenna someplace other than on a mirror mount close to those other antennas.
If you don't monitor the CB channels with that scanner, you shouldn't see much affect on that scanner from a typical CB radio. I would expect some 'desensing' of the scanner receiver, but you'd get that from any strong near by signal, not just from your radio.
As far as usng one of the existing antennas for that scanner, it just depends on if they are being used by something else. I have to think that they would be, so figure on another antenna for the scanner.
- 'Doc

Status
Not open for further replies.