C Crane CC Skywave

Status
Not open for further replies.

TexScan780D

Premium Subscriber
Any comments on the C.Crane CC Skywave SSB AM, FM, Shortwave, Weather, VHF, Avation and SSB Bands portable travel radio?

I like to listen to Amature Radio.

Last edited:

TexScan780D

Premium Subscriber
Please post comments on the C.Crane CC Skywave SSB AM, FM, Shortwave,

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Once again, use the SEARCH tool found on the upper right hand corner of the toolbar and you'll find lots. I also posted links to reviews and there are, I'm sure, more that I didn't look at (like on the Radio Jay Allen website)...Mike

TexScan780D

Premium Subscriber
I have been on RR for a very long time and I always thought these forums where a place to go to ask for help and help members with questions and not to receive sarcastic remarks.

SigIntel8600

Communications Receiver Nut
Premium Subscriber
Any comments on the C.Crane CC Skywave SSB AM, FM, Shortwave, Weather, VHF, Avation and SSB Bands portable travel radio?

I like to listen to Amature Radio.

The Skywave SSB is tiny and a little overpriced IMHO. Take a look at the Tecsun PL-660. Great results for portable ham radio monitoring while traveling at a great price. here is the link PL-660
Anon-co is a great company to deal with as well.

Boombox

If it has SSB, it will receive amateur radio transmissions. You may need a longer antenna than just the whip -- like 10-15 ft of wire clipped to the whip antenna to receive hams.

I don't have a Skywave, but I have other small SW portables and a little extra wire helps in receiving hams.

W5lz

If it will 'hear' the frequencies you are interested in, and the modes you are interested in, then it should work just fine. If it won't do one of the above thingys... Then it's not very usefull.. right?

TexScan780D

Premium Subscriber
If it has SSB, it will receive amateur radio transmissions. You may need a longer antenna than just the whip -- like 10-15 ft of wire clipped to the whip antenna to receive hams.

I don't have a Skywave, but I have other small SW portables and a little extra wire helps in receiving hams.

What other SW portables you have.

TexScan780D

Premium Subscriber
The Skywave SSB is tiny and a little overpriced IMHO. Take a look at the Tecsun PL-660. Great results for portable ham radio monitoring while traveling at a great price. here is the link PL-660
Anon-co is a great company to deal with as well.

Get a lot more accessories then the Skywave. Where is Anon-co?

Boombox

TexScan, I have several Sangean-made digital SW portables, mostly 1990's models -- the ATS909, ATS818, ATS505 (a 2008 model), ATS800, etc. I also have a Panasonic RFB45, which was a Japanese made Panasonic from 1996 or so. Several of these get SSB, and my main antenna right now is a 25 ft wire, placed near the ceiling, and I have heard hams from all over the world with these radios. Lately, though, conditions have been worse, but when there are good conditions, I still hear hams, both in SSB and on CW, using my SSB portables and the 25 ft antenna. My Grundig G2 is a good radio, a fairly small one like the Skywave, which probably has a chip inside like the one that runs the Skywave, and it hears SW stations all over the place just off the whip. It has no SSB, so I can't say how a small DSP chipped radio would receive SSB, but I can't see how such a radio like the Skywave wouldn't pick up hams.

Status
Not open for further replies.