• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CDM1250 CPS-Can't Read Codeplug

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfab

I am trying to program a CDM1250 using the CPS and the CPS says it can't read the codeplug. It's almost as if there is a comm issue between the computer and the radio.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

Josh

Check the COM port, is it the right one?

The CDM series programs best via true serial port, Motorola RIB and cable. RIB-less units may or may not work and typical brick radios.

Also, USB to serial converters usually do not work.

More info on your programming setup is needed to better diagnose the possible problem.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
I am trying to program a CDM1250 using the CPS and the CPS says it can't read the codeplug. It's almost as if there is a comm issue between the computer and the radio.

There has been a lot of discussion about this here and over on batboard.

If you are using a Vista or Win 7 computer, there is a good chance you will encounter exactly what you are describing.

If you have an XP or older computer, the CPS should work just fine. I can attest to this personally as I tried to run the CPS on both a Win 7 64 bit and a Vista computers with no luck. As soon as I installed it on my older XP desktop, it began to work perfectly each and every time on both CDM750's and on CDM1250's. I also have an old Win 98 laptop that will run the CPS just fine, but it is unreliable and headed for the great junk heap in the sky.

You may want to use the Search function and look up some of the many threads that already exist on this topic.

SteveC0625

Premium Subscriber
The CDM series programs best via true serial port, Motorola RIB and cable. RIB-less units may or may not work and typical brick radios.

Also, USB to serial converters usually do not work.

The ribless cable from Motorola works quite well when connected directly to the serial port of a XP or 98 or 95 computer.

It is the after market cables, especially the very inexpensive ones from overseas, that will cause the problems you mention.

jfab

The ribless cable from Motorola works quite well when connected directly to the serial port of a XP or 98 or 95 computer.

It is the after market cables, especially the very inexpensive ones from overseas, that will cause the problems you mention.

Dumb question, but how do I check to make sure the com port is the right one? The CPS says com10 and so does the device manager, so I'm assuming its correct?

I am using a motorola cable I bought from a moto shop here in town.

I am also using a serial-usb converter cable.

I will try it on my XP computer and see if that works.

Josh

"I am also using a serial-usb converter cable."

You'll probably just need to find a computer with a real serial port on it, or get a PCI card with serial on it.
I have yet to find a USB to serial converter that either worked right. I use a laptop with an express card serial and it works great.

Gezelle007

Lurker in the Deep
Premium Subscriber
Dumb question, but how do I check to make sure the com port is the right one? The CPS says com10 and so does the device manager, so I'm assuming its correct?

I am using a motorola cable I bought from a moto shop here in town.

I am also using a serial-usb converter cable. .

Sounds like you only have half of what you need, if you have a Motorola cable you probably need that rib box as well unless it was a ribless cable... the serial-usb converter does not get rid of the rib box.

davidgcet

Premium Subscriber
in device manager change the port from10 to a lower numbered available port, i've never had an issue using port# 1-4, beyond that it can be real iffy. even my trusty Belkin USB/serial adapter that works flawless with ALL CPS based radios will not work most of the time if my computer sets it to a high comport number.

jfab

in device manager change the port from10 to a lower numbered available port, i've never had an issue using port# 1-4, beyond that it can be real iffy. even my trusty Belkin USB/serial adapter that works flawless with ALL CPS based radios will not work most of the time if my computer sets it to a high comport number.

I tried reading the CDM using windows XP in comms 1 and 3 using the true serial port and RIB box and it is giving me the same error message. I also tried slowing down the bit rate from 9600 to 4800.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks! I appreciate everyones help!

davidgcet

Premium Subscriber
what version CPS you got, and is it the same version or newer than the one that last programmed that radio? if it is older than the one used to program it last, you won't be able to read it.

SteveC0625

Premium Subscriber
06.04.00 is the version I have. I am not sure of the version that programmed it before. how would i find out?

Current version of the Professional Radio CPS is 6.12.02.

Any idea who programmed it last? They might be able to tell you what version they used.

OTH, if your subscription for the CPS is still current, log into MOL and get the latest version. Then, barring any other complications or issues, you should be able to read the radio.

jfab

Current version of the Professional Radio CPS is 6.12.02.

Any idea who programmed it last? They might be able to tell you what version they used.

OTH, if your subscription for the CPS is still current, log into MOL and get the latest version. Then, barring any other complications or issues, you should be able to read the radio.

I don't have a subscription to MOL. The CPS was given to me by someone. Any other ideas of how to get the most current CPS? Or is there something else I can do (reset the radio, etc) that will allow me to read/write the radio?

Thanks for everyone's help!

SteveC0625

Premium Subscriber
I don't have a subscription to MOL. The CPS was given to me by someone. Any other ideas of how to get the most current CPS? Or is there something else I can do (reset the radio, etc) that will allow me to read/write the radio?

The only way to procure a copy of the CPS for yourself is to purchase it from Motorola. For that you need to establish an account with Motorola and sign the software agreement. After you do that and then purchase the CPS, you are entitled to three years worth of free updates on the CPS.

You could also seek out a repair shop who does have the latest version and have them read (and program) the radio for you.

AFAIK, there is no magic reset of the radio in the field to accomplish what you are asking for.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
I'm betting its that usb cable. Buy an IOGEAR GUC232A usb to serial adapter and try that. its the motorola recommended USB to serial adapter.

jfab

I'm betting its that usb cable. Buy an IOGEAR GUC232A usb to serial adapter and try that. its the motorola recommended USB to serial adapter.

I dont believe it is because I used a true serial port and that didn't work either.

I'm going to take this issue to the shop I bought the cable from. I'm thinking I have an outdated CPS.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
I dont believe it is because I used a true serial port and that didn't work either.

I'm going to take this issue to the shop I bought the cable from. I'm thinking I have an outdated CPS.

it will say codeplug too new for application if your cps is outdated. you might even get "unsupported model" because of earlier version 6.04 cps. i think the "Couldn't open port." is a hardware problem. just for kicks clean around the connection between the radio and cable and make sure all the pins on the cable are clean and straight same for the receiving end

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
it will say codeplug too new for application if your cps is outdated. you might even get "unsupported model" because of earlier version 6.04 cps. i think the "Couldn't open port." is a hardware problem. just for kicks clean around the connection between the radio and cable and make sure all the pins on the cable are clean and straight same for the receiving end

I agree with chrismol1. "Couldn't open port" is definitely a communications error. I wouldn't run and get a software upgrade until you are sure you need it. If there was an issue with the CPS version, you would get a different error message. What does the device manager say your "true" serial port is on? Changing the parameters in device manager doesn't do a thing, CPS runs its own speed directly.

I would be thinking bad cable, poor contacts. Are you running your RIB on battery? Try a fresh one. I had a real M battery only RIB that was so-so. Dumped the 9 volt and cobbled a 8 cell AA holder to it for 12 volt in.
Ran great, didn't have any more probs, and it lasted a hella long time.

To be considered, a radio will (rarely) have a fubar serial line and just refuse to be read or written to. A trip to depot (ouch) will take care of that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.