• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CDM1550 Install in 2014 Chevy Impala

Status
Not open for further replies.

JChabalie

Putting a CDM1550 remote mount in my 2014 Chevy Impala. What is the best location to get power to the radio? I was thinking of the positive battery terminal and a grounding post located under the hood. Suggestions?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Putting a CDM1550 remote mount in my 2014 Chevy Impala. What is the best location to get power to the radio? I was thinking of the positive battery terminal and a grounding post located under the hood. Suggestions?

Absolutely.
Do not tap into any existing wiring for the main power.

Positive needs to go to the positive post on the battery. Fuse close to the battery as you can. Protect the wiring, route it carefully, split loom covering it under the hood. Use grommets for any place the wire passes through holes in sheet metal.

Negative needs to go to the vehicle body, ideally close to the radio. No need to run it all the way back to near the battery, and do not attach it directly to the negative post on the battery, this bypasses some of the energy management systems in the car.

JChabalie

I have two bolts in the engine compartment that appear to be used as a ground (there are black wires attached to it already). Would it be safe to use that as the ground?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I have two bolts in the engine compartment that appear to be used as a ground (there are black wires attached to it already). Would it be safe to use that as the ground?

Yes.
But you'd be better off finding something under the dash board. The negative lead functions as the return for the power as well as RF grounding. Keeping grounds short helps with interference, noise, etc. You could use the under hood grounding points, but I've always run a short ground jumper from the radio chassis direct to the body. You don't want to rely on long negative leads or coax shield to the antenna mount for radio ground.

kb8srx

Premium Subscriber
I would tap right off the battery with one of these, i have been using one for 15 years, and never lost a radio, just a couple of self tapping screws in the engine compartment and your on your way........
9477b62956e6ca2ee63e904a68cb8188.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yeah, those will work. But not 150 amps.

For that radio, it'll only need 15 amp feed.

On my personal and work truck, I put in a 60 amp breaker with 6 gauge wire to behind the seat. From there it attaches to a fused distribution block to feed individual radios.

The breaker/fuse value needs to be sized correctly for the load as well as the conductor size. Unless you are running large cable, stick with the Motorola factory harness.

kb8srx

Premium Subscriber
Agreed, i use the 150 because there are 4 radios, scanner and an Ameritron als-500m amp in the back, i was just using pic for reference.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.