• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CDM1550 PL Audio Behavior Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

dapaq2

Hello Group,

I have a Motorola CDM1550LS that I have a couple of channels with PL for the decode/receive side. When I am manually monitoring those channels, the squelch stays closed audio muted when no PL is present. However, when I have system scan enabled and am scanning those channels when they are in the scan list, the squelch opens up and I can hear everything from any radio transmitting without a PL. Does anyone know how I can get the squelch to remain closed while scanning and receiving transmissions that have no PL present? I am assuming that I just need to make a minor adjustment in the programming, but unsure where or what I am overlooking...

Thanks,
Doug

krazybob

Are you monitoring through the built-in speaker, a speaker plugged into the external Jack, or from the accessory port on the back of the radio? The reason I ask this is because I had a Vertext do this. When monitoring from the line-out it would not pass PL. By that I mean anything and everything came through with no protection. Because it's a commercial radio it should also have a setting for off hook scan. Unless you ground the metal circle on the back of the microphone during skin there won't be any PL. The FCC requires that when used on shared channels you monitor before transmitting in the way they enforce this is with the requirement that the plb disabled when you remove the microphone from the microphone holder. If you are not using a microphone you can take an RJ45 connector and looking at the schematic determine what the ground pin setting is and create a dummy microphone connection that is always grounded.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
Go to your Scan List, on the General tab, make sure PL Scan Type is set to "Priority and Non-Priority Channel".

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Are you monitoring through the built-in speaker, a speaker plugged into the external Jack, or from the accessory port on the back of the radio? The reason I ask this is because I had a Vertext do this. When monitoring from the line-out it would not pass PL. By that I mean anything and everything came through with no protection. Because it's a commercial radio it should also have a setting for off hook scan. Unless you ground the metal circle on the back of the microphone during skin there won't be any PL. The FCC requires that when used on shared channels you monitor before transmitting in the way they enforce this is with the requirement that the plb disabled when you remove the microphone from the microphone holder. If you are not using a microphone you can take an RJ45 connector and looking at the schematic determine what the ground pin setting is and create a dummy microphone connection that is always grounded.

There's a setting in Waris CPS for that. A jumper is NOT needed. Older products like the earlier Radius and Maxtracs did require the jumper.

The correct solution is in post #3.

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
KG4INW thank you for that information! That was the cause of the problem, all good now.

Doug
Excellent! I've had to adjust many CDMs that were exhibiting that behavior because they were set to scan PL on priority channels only (I believe that might be default?).

krazybob

I guess what threw me is the terminology used by the Motorola. Priority and non-priority instead of busy channel lock out? Even Vertex evades a straight answer by referring to it as off-hook scanning.

As I said I don't mind learning something new. In radio there's always something new to learn and that's what makes it so fascinating.

Status
Not open for further replies.