Cedar Falls Ham Group?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stummej

Hey all,

I have been wanting to get in to armature radio but have always kind of been putting off getting my license and a radio. I was wondering if there's anyone from the cedar falls/waterloo area that knows of any meetings that i could go to and talk with some licensed hams and actually get on my way to becoming one.

Thanks!

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
Hey all,

I have been wanting to get in to armature radio but have always kind of been putting off getting my license and a radio. I was wondering if there's anyone from the cedar falls/waterloo area that knows of any meetings that i could go to and talk with some licensed hams and actually get on my way to becoming one.

Thanks!
Dc_armature.jpg

Armature?

lol...

Here is the address to the waterloo club website:

Welcome To Our Amateur Radio Website

looks like they have a meeting in less than a week! Until then I'm happy to answer any questions or move this thread to the amateur forum.

The local repeater appear to be:

146.655 and 444.65 in cedar falls...

146.82, 146.94, 224.9, 443.75, 444.55, 444.925, 444.975, 927.337 in waterloo if you want to monitor something up there

Last edited:

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
OK, Jason. I about choked on my coffee... Nice one ;)

I been a ham for 10 years, It comes in handy!

stummej

So i completely botched that... I thought it said sunday instead of saturday... :-\ I guess I just wanted to get out and meet actually licensed fokes. Ask for radio suggestions, I was looking at a IC-91A, IC-91AD, or IC-92AD. (Advantage of the 91 is it will work with a mic I want to get.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
So i completely botched that... I thought it said sunday instead of saturday... :-\ I guess I just wanted to get out and meet actually licensed fokes. Ask for radio suggestions, I was looking at a IC-91A, IC-91AD, or IC-92AD. (Advantage of the 91 is it will work with a mic I want to get.

I've never been a fan of Icom radios, and unless you're looking for a specific feature only available in those radios, that is a large chunk of change for an HT. If I was spending $400-$700 just for a regular radio (No DSTAR, which the IC-91A wont do without a $200 upgrade), I would look at Yaesu.

Wideband receive on an HT is pretty much junk, and it doesnt look like it will receive anything other than AM/FM rendering receiving the HF Bands pretty much usless... And having a wide front end like that severely inhibits the receive function.

The IC-9AD has been discontinued BTW.

Unless you're looking for DSTAR, I would look at different radios. You can buy commercial HT's for the price of those things. Icom always has had a hefty price tag. You can get alot more radio for your money.

N0ZJT

Database Admin
I'm from that area....if you have any questions you can PM me or ask away here.

There are several 2 meter repeaters in the area, as well as some 440 repeaters. My suggestion would be to look for a dual band radio to start with.

A groups of hams from the Waterloo club meet at Hy-Vee on University by K-mart every Monday morning around 9:00 am. If you are available during that time, it might be a good time to chat with some of them without the meeting setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.