• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

cell phone coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.
From time to time people can travel cross county is there a web suite to see if there is adequate cell phone coverage? Such as typing in a zip code and seeing if there is any cell phone coverage.
Other wise the next step would be radios.

FYI: My mother went to the lower part of Delaware No cell phone coverage but I can use texting/Data transmitt from a computer base such as my home computer to her cell phone but the digital voice forget it.

Didj'a try a search "cellular map coverage" in Google/Yahoo/Bing? I found these on the first page...

Cell Phone Coverage Maps - AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile and Verizon - CellReception.com
Cellular Coverage Maps of Wireless Carriers
Cellular Maps.com-Coverage, Comparison and License Maps

Can't say as to the quality of the maps, forever changing. Verizon (my carrier) has a map at http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/CoverageLocatorController that takes one down to the town/state/zip. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
From time to time people can travel cross county is there a web suite to see if there is adequate cell phone coverage? Such as typing in a zip code and seeing if there is any cell phone coverage.
Other wise the next step would be radios.

FYI: My mother went to the lower part of Delaware No cell phone coverage but I can use texting/Data transmitt from a computer base such as my home computer to her cell phone but the digital voice forget it.
Not all cell carriers have good coverage. You would be best to get on the carriers site and look for their coverage maps. Take what you see with a grain of salt that it will work in all the areas they say it will. Generally coverage is good along most major Interstate highways and in dense building areas. Then again, this varies depending on who your carrier is and where you are.

I use to work for several cell carriers over the course of about 18 years. Your getting the same answer I gave customers back then. The cell carriers are only going to build sites where they will get the revenue back from their investment. If your out in the middle of no where, chances are the cell coverage is nil to none.

Where you get coverage from one carrier, there may be nothing from another. It is best to ask people that live in the area to find out just which carriers serve the locations. If you run into one of the fire or police agency people, ask them. They use their cell phones all the time all over the county where you find them. You can get some real good feedback from those people.

Status
Not open for further replies.