• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Cell Site Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
Hope I'm not posting in the wrong place, but I couldn't find a forum that seemed to fit any better.

I have what I think is a cell tower that was installed a block from my house this morning, but I'm not sure what it really is. It has a mast maybe 25' tall, and at the top there is a white cylinder, about a foot in diameter, and maybe 2' long. I have not seen this sort of thing installed in residential neighborhoods before, so it has me wondering. It looks nothing like the cell sites that I typically see. I've heard that as 5G rolls out there will be sites everywhere in a much more dense pattern than what has been used up until now, but I've heard nothing about Verizon testing 5G in Phoenix at this time. I am sincerely hoping that this thing doesn't transmit in the 700 MHz band as I have noticed some unusual issues with monitoring 700 MHz systems that are not normally a problem, just today actually. At this point I don't know that this new tower has anything to do with that, but I'm curious.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
OK, I got closer and this thing is on a light pole...I don't even know if it is a transmitter site, the case seems all metal, but I don't think it's a light or speaker or any type of camera, I'm baffled...but here it is...

thing 3.JPG

thing 2.JPG

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
Looks similar to what Verizon has been installing locally on top of utility poles.
They are a small cell site, designed to improve coverage.
Probably will have 700MHz LTE in it, but they don't run the same power levels as a macro cell site.

Bummer...that would explain the sudden change in reception of 700 MHz systems with my SDS200. It would also explain why my Verizon LTE speed at the house seems to now be a good deal faster after a few speed tests of my LTE internet connection. Three systems I scan went from 90% decode to 5% just today, and this thing was finished mid-day. It all makes sense now. Luckily my most important systems seem to be working on initial testing.

Still, I'm surprised at the metal shield around the antennas. I would think that would block signal? And the irony of being a Verizon customer with newly improved LTE at the cost of having this thing for a neighbor that will disrupt my hobby doesn't escape me.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Still, I'm surprised at the metal shield around the antennas. I would think that would block signal? And the irony of being a Verizon customer with newly improved LTE at the cost of having this thing for a neighbor that will disrupt my hobby doesn't escape me.

It's not metal. Or at least not entirely metal. The bottom skirt may be, but the top half is an RF transparent material.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
OK, I got closer and this thing is on a light pole...I don't even know if it is a transmitter site, the case seems all metal, but I don't think it's a light or speaker or any type of camera, I'm baffled...but here it is...

The latest edition of AGL magazine came in the mail today, and flipping through it….

Charles Industries SHRD1 Pole-Top Radio Shroud matches that photo.

http://www.charlesindustries.com/shroud_ordering_guides/SHRD1 Ordering Guide.pdf

So, what you are seeing is the cover/enclosure shown above (in white).

What's inside is the Small Cell remote heads and a canister style antenna on top.
Which carrier it is is probably indicated by your increase in Verizon performance.

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
Many of these small cells also contain 3.5-4ghz CBRS/OnGo base radios in them as well. Many carriers are planning on using this new band due to the creative (read "cheap") licensing structure. Good old 5G. TT

Status
Not open for further replies.