Central Michigan feed costs per month

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Just wanted to post this it costs me $60 a month to run the Central Michigan feed the cost is having a sprint wirless card just for that computer since that is the only high speed internet service i can get where i live i use a Gateway laptop that i bought a little over a year ago that computer is dedicated to run the feed it is not used for anything else,

The computer i use inside the house is a 2000 Dell kaptop on dial up the feed computer sits in my detached garrage.

I do this in case Firefighters want to listen to the surronding areas i was on Harrison Fire from 1999-2002 until i moved away for a job now i am back in the area.

I thought i would bring this up so people can understand why IBN had to shut down

Right now i am off on medical leave and i have very little money comming in i make sure that the wireless bill is paid so the feed doesnt go down.

Hope you all enjoy it.

Thanks

Matt

APSN556

Premium Subscriber
With all do respect, you're comparing apples to oranges.

Your $60 a month does not compare to the thousands that IBN forked out.

The admin at IBN shut down (rightfully so) because other priorities took the place of scanners. If you are on medical leave and have no income coming it, yet still pay $60 a month for the scanner feed, then I suggest you splash some cold water in your face and get your priorities in line.

We all understand why IBN shut down, not sure what point you are trying to get across. We get it. You're preaching to the choir.

The day that I have to compromise a basic necessity of life or find myself in need of a buck, my scanner hobby and service to RR will be the first thing on the chopping block.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
The point i am trying to make is we allways hear about the places that provide the servers for us to feed on.

I am trying to explain how much it costs a feed provider to provide a feed to one of these servers.

A feed provider has to give up a lot to provide a feed.

And the reason i have to make sure my bill is paid is so my cell phone does not get shut off.

I have a TS server that i pay for also but i chose to have the feed here on RR.

the service i have has 25 slots and it costs me $22 every 3 months.

I just think people should know how much a feed provider has to pay for his feed a month if RR was not here i think there would only be a handfull of feeds online.

In no way am i comparing IBN or RR with the money they throw out what i was trying to say is i am in the same boat that the owner of IBN is in but i am trying to keep the feed going.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Sorry about the troubles you're having -- but that's not "how much it costs a feed provider." I run my feed off a PC that I use as my home server, so no hardware costs. It uses the same Internet that I use for my home Internet, so no cost for the connection either.

Adding that all up - my monthly feed costs me $0.00 with a hardware investment of $0.00 too. So don't scare people off ;)

ibagli

Same here. I'm using a computer that would just have been sitting there and the internet I would have had anyways.

andw1

I agree, I also have an old computer running Linux that runs Darkice streaming my feed both to RR and to my own Icecast server so I can still listen if RR goes down for any reason. Almost everyone is going to have internet access anyway, so it's unfair to add that in to the cost. My costs total from start to streaming, not counting the scanner was $30 for an old pentium 3 computer off ebay and $ 7 worth of cables from Radio Shack. It doesn't take enough bandwidth to justify it's own internet connection, especially since I've been streaming to RR, it's only a constant 16k, even dial-up handles this no problem.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Just wanted to post this it costs me $60 a month to run the Central Michigan feed ...

I do this in case Firefighters want to listen to the surronding areas...

Right now i am off on medical leave and i have very little money comming in i make sure that the wireless bill is paid so the feed doesnt go down.

Sorry to hear of your medical and financial issues. Hope things get better for you!

If the service you're providing is really useful to firefighters in your area, maybe you should consider asking them for donations to help support your efforts?

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
Just wanted to post this it costs me $60 a month to run the Central Michigan feed the cost is having a sprint wirless card just for that computer since that is the only high speed internet service i can get where i live

The computer i use inside the house is a 2000 Dell kaptop on dial up the feed computer sits in my detached garrage.

You might want to look into getting one of these WiFi routers that takes an air card. You could plug your air card into the router, configure it for your air card account, then anything that connects to the router now has access to the broadband Internet service from the air card. Then you can eliminate the expense of the dial-up Internet account and get faster web access to boot.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Using cell-based wireless at home for much more than pushing a feed would likely lead to bandwidth issues in a heartbeat...

SCPD

QRT
You might want to look into getting one of these WiFi routers that takes an air card. You could plug your air card into the router, configure it for your air card account, then anything that connects to the router now has access to the broadband Internet service from the air card. Then you can eliminate the expense of the dial-up Internet account and get faster web access to boot.

I would like to do that since my sprint wireless card has unlimited bandwith on it but i can't find a router for wireless that would take a usb hook up.

Because the only other option i have is getting a satalite internet service and that price is so high and really limits you on downloads and uploads.

SCPD

QRT
I have just invested in a 3g broadband router which will allow me to have high speed internet inside my house.

This option will also allow me to mabey add anther feed since i have 2 more computers i will most likley put the police action on 1 feed and Fire/EMS on the other.

The other invesment i will be making is getting an external antenna for my sprint 3g modem this total upgrade will only cost around $160 comapred to getting satalite just to install is $100 and then like $50-70 a month depending on how much bandwidth you want.

My sprint service costs me $60 a month for unlimited use.

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
My sprint service costs me $60 a month for unlimited use.

The dirty little secret is that it is only unlimited up to 5 gigabytes per month, then it stops being unlimited.

I would do the math before putting up a second feed, you might exceed your monthly data allocation and owe them big bucks.

With the one feed and light to moderate web browsing and e-mail you should do OK as long as the feed data rate is 16kb/second.

SCPD

QRT
So far i have not been charged extra the deal with me thru nextel was i wanted it unlimted no limatations they agreed to that when i bought the service i have 5 lines with Nextel i got speical offers from day 1.

I am not saying that this isnt true because you really do have to watch what you get into with these wirless cards with the limatations.

But i have used 8 gigabytes a few months ago and i was not charged any extra.

But i will keep my eye on the bill since you brought this up.

Thanks

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.