CFB Borden Trunking System Help Please!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dustinrenz

Hello, I have a radio shack pro-164 Scanner. Ive been racking my brains out over figuring out the trunking scan. I tried programming it but do not know what frequencies need to go on or exactly what I am doing as the instructions are really bad. If someone could take me through it step by step to program the trunking system at CFB Borden, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks so much!!

-- The Link to the Borden Page: CFB Borden Trunking System, Borden, Ontario - Scanner Frequencies

dustinrenz

I managed to pick up a few transmissions while messing around with it. I find it difficult to believe that a trunking scanner doesnt scan trunking systems.....I talked to several people that have managed to program it for a trunking system and works fine...

OntFF221

Premium Subscriber
It's not that it doesn't work on trunking systems, it's that the Borden, Fleetnet and Barrie trunked systems are on frequencies that the Pro-164's step-size setting won't accept. Or at least wouldn't accept on the 1.06 firmware, that mine had.

As I would program it, it would accept the freq. information as I entered it, but would "correct" it to the closest allowed step-size value, when I hit enter... The Borden CC is on 149.635000. If you enter that into your scanner, does it actually accept it, or does it adjust it to something "close"?

I ended up returning it, and getting a RS Pro-106; which has worked perfectly on Borden systems for over a year...

dustinrenz

When i put in 149.635 it adjusts itself to 149.625. I believe i read something that is there a firmware i can update to allow me to access the borden system? Or am i gonna have to sell this thing and buy a new one. Also it does allow me to change the steps in the trunking programming but only to 3 freqs.

OntFF221

Premium Subscriber
I eneded up getting rid of my Pro-164, and got a Pro-106; picks up OPP, Borden, MOH, MNR, City of Barrie, and local conventional channels very well...

Pro-106 is a fair bit more, about $400US, I believe; at US RadioShack. PSR500, which is the exact same radio as the Pro-106 is $550 at Durham Radio, Bearcat BC-95 is $650.

OntFF221

Premium Subscriber
I believe either will do what you want; I had the programming cable for the Pro-106 (same as the 164), plus, I had easier access to Radio Shack; which is why I went for the 106...

Software and organizationally, the Pro-106 is completely different from the 164; so you'd be learning from scratch again... I have an older Bearcat, and I like it, too - but it's far FAR simpler then the 396, so can't really compare.

I have the 106, I like it, and I'd recommend it...

dustinrenz

I did a bit of looking around and I think im gonna get a 106. It looks more user friendly and does everything I need it to. Just as soon as i sell my 164 Im going to get a 106. Thanks for you help!

warrior420

The 396xt would be far easier for programing and operating. And the programing cable comes with it and there is free software to use. I've had experience with both and a good antenna on a uniden will be very user friendly and more bells n whistles.

dustinrenz

I broke down and bought a 396xt. Its programed fine for OPP, Barrie PD. I cant get the borden trunking system still though. has anyone had any success programming borden on a 396xt?

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I'm following it with a BC996XT so the programming works fine.

Just make sure you're using VHF trunking and use the two bandplans that are listed.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I'm afraid I don't use Freescan but you do need lower/upper/offset/steps entered in so I'd guess a Motorola Custom table is correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.