CFD Ambulance

Status
Not open for further replies.

gg750

I'm sure this has been asked before, so forgive me for asking again....

Why doesn't CFD use any kind of lightbar on their ambulances? I see that they have several strobes/LEDs on the front (5, to be exact), but wouldn't a lightbar, even a small one, grab peoples attention better than a few small stobe heads? The first thing I thought when I saw one coming down the road was that it was a utilities truck or something. Can someone fill me in on why they decided not to install them?

Thanks!

G

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
gg750 said:
I'm sure this has been asked before, so forgive me for asking again....

Why doesn't CFD use any kind of lightbar on their ambulances? I see that they have several strobes/LEDs on the front (5, to be exact), but wouldn't a lightbar, even a small one, grab peoples attention better than a few small stobe heads? The first thing I thought when I saw one coming down the road was that it was a utilities truck or something. Can someone fill me in on why they decided not to install them?

Thanks!

G

Your wish is coming true. New ambulances that are coming out will have a lightbar on the front. First new ones to come out will be : Amb. 12, 3, 51, 80. First three were destroyed in accidents. As to the "why" question, I couldn't answer that other than to say...you're right, more lights, louder sirens, bigger air horns the better. I know because I drive one every day for da city.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
More lights and louder sirens and bigger horns people probaly sue because it hurts my eyes or I'm deaf. In Fl we have a move over act u don't pull over for public safety you will get a huge ticket. I know a few people work for FD down there and they some say people still do not move over no matter what they do with laws they still won't pull over. I know the past yrs I lived there hardly our SO cars had crashes now seems every day or 2 cars a week. I agree we should put more lights and sirens are louder I like that because they should hear it if they don't have the cell in their heads or music blasting away........ They should make car stero's a certain level like they are doing to Ipods sorry if you want loud music keep at home.... and cell phones please use hands free instead in your ear and stuff. Oh yea I like the light system up here where all traffic lights turn RED when public safety goes by we need them down in FL.

Last edited:

gg750

Same law in Michigan...not yielding right-of-way to an emergency vehicle (even a volunteer FF) can get you a big ticket. People are pretty good about it here though. It's drilled into ever Michiganders head during drivers ed, so most people just instinctively get out of the way.

Thats cool that some CFD ambulances will start getting lightbars. I don't think 12, 3, 51, or 80 are stationed around places of the city I usually go, but I'll keep my eyes open for others when I'm down there.

G

red8

several years ago downhere in louisiana(baton rouge) we had one of
the parishes ems truck going to a call the truck had a lightbar on
the front in fact all the lights were on when it was proceeding through
the intersection when a dwi broadsided the ambulance killing the
paramedics and critically injuring the person that they were transporting to the hospital. i guess what i'm trying to say is you
have that ambulance fire or police lit up like the 4th of july people
still won't pay attenion. sometimes it seem like people have
2 brain cells-one saying bye bye to the other one
red8

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
That stinks the EMS people died about on the crash I hope those families sue the person hit the Rescue unit. I feel sorry all Public Safety people like that they are doing their job and someone hits them.... I had a buddy died from something like that when he was responding to the station to get the truck back than was Vol.

gg750

red8 said:
several years ago downhere in louisiana(baton rouge) we had one of
the parishes ems truck going to a call the truck had a lightbar on
the front in fact all the lights were on when it was proceeding through
the intersection when a dwi broadsided the ambulance killing the
paramedics and critically injuring the person that they were transporting to the hospital. i guess what i'm trying to say is you
have that ambulance fire or police lit up like the 4th of july people
still won't pay attenion. sometimes it seem like people have
2 brain cells-one saying bye bye to the other one
red8

That's sad. When it comes to drunks on the road, there isn't much you can do to get their attention (it gets their attention a few hours later when they realized that they've killed someone). And I agree, there are some people that, even when sober, should not be given the privledge to drive. But in most cases, the flashier the lights and the louder the sirens (cars are so sound insulated these days), the better chance you have of getting someone's attention before an accident happens. Maybe they should start equiping all emergency vehicles, ambulances and cop cars included, with Federal Signal Q sirens and air horns...those 2 ALWAYS get peoples attention:wink:

G

Status
Not open for further replies.