CFD Apparatus status

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Only a pump. Years and years and years ago Red 4 and Red 8 (reserve) were kept there. Red 4 was moved to 13 and Red 8 was disposed of.

MrVelvet

Will 13 have to lose an aparatus due to space limitations? 13BB or Red 6? Does the pump become 13 pump or will they retain the 27 name?

Jay911

Feed Provider
I would suspect that, for now, it will remain 27 Pump. If they go ahead with permanent closure of 27, it will indeed become 13 Pump.

If anything gets ejected from the hall it'll be 13BB, but I think they might have enough room. I can't remember if there was space for R8 in there or not... I was last in there in November 01.

Red 6 is necessary because it is the truck that will attend the terminal and any other "cityside" property, i.e. the parking garage, hotel, etc. You can't take the others off the airside without downgrading the airport's functionality - you have to have the ARFF trucks available 24/7 to respond to any incidents within 30 seconds.

Other interesting tidbits about airport fire service - there is actually only 5 or 6 firefighters in 13, not counting the two on Red 6 and the four or five on 27 Pump. The station captain and his driver operate Red 2, and one man each run Red 3, 4, and 5. Of course the airport chief is Red 1. Lastly, the reason 27 Pump (or any pump) joins Red 6 on medical calls at the airport is more or less just to offer driver/manpower for transport if necessary, since Red 6's crew is required to stay on the airport.

MrVelvet

Does 13 have more than one cityside bay to it? I thought there was only the one.

I've had the privelage to go for a ride on Red 2 and actualy work the water turrets - what a blast, (no pun intended), and I was really surprised to hear there was only a one man crew to them.

Wasn't there talk of bringing the ARFF trucks off scene for the Hub Oil fire?

Jay911

Feed Provider
Just one city side bay.

Red 3 did leave the airport grounds for Hub and fought the fire. Technically, the airport can get by without being downgraded if it loses either R3 OR R4 - it only needs one of them to meet its Transport Canada/NavCanada requirements. If both go down, jets and other heavies have to divert.

If Springbank lengthens its runway(s) and becomes a hub for jet cargo like it wants to (taking 727s and 737s), it will need at least one full time ARFF truck.

ENGINE_4

Premium Subscriber
so since #27 pump is at #13 station for now, are they still covering there residental district, or is that up to

#7 station?, or #18?, thanks

Jay911

Feed Provider
The CAD (Computer Aided Dispatch) system takes care of that by sending the closest trucks regardless of whose "area" they're in or whose "area" the call's in. That's something that's taken a long time for the fire crews to get used to, as they all have "inspection districts" which they're responsible for. They think that they will only get calls for that area, and that only they will get calls for that area, but that's not the case.

The computer links with GPS in every front-line truck to know exactly where any truck is at any given time. (If the GPS fails, or in trucks without GPS, the computer 'falls back' to a system that relies on the last known address for a truck (i.e. the call it was dispatched to, for example, if it has cleared the call and is available on radio).) When the dispatcher calls for a "recommend", he/she's asking the computer to find the closest x trucks of type y for a call at z. So for example, if there was a possible building fire at the postal plant, at 1100 49 Av NE (behind the Tim's/Wendy's on McKnight), when the dispatcher hits "recommend", the computer is instructed to find the two closest PUMP, the closest AERIAL, and the closest EMERG. If everyone's in their halls (normally), this would be 27P 18P 18A 4E. However, 18A is down right now for maintenance, and 27P is in 13 station. So the recommend would be, most likely, 18P 27P 12A 4E.

But wait.. what if 10 Squad is coming off Deerfoot x McKnight and on their way to 32? They're still available any time they're not on a call. So because they're where they are, the recommend will probably be 10SQ 18P 12A 4E, and 27P stays "at home" in 13.

Now let's say 31E is just clearing a call at Deerfoot x 64th southbound. 10SQ 18P 12A 31E.

It's a very dynamic system, and it's why you hear some crazy recommends sometimes. When the GPS were first being put in fire trucks, I once had 32 Pump on Blackfoot Trail having just left the shop at 16. A call at Alyth Yards sent 32P 16P 1A 4E. Had to explain it to the captain on 32 afterwards. :)

All that said, the answer to your question is, part of it will be covered by 18, part by 4, part by 7, and part by 27. The computer auto-adjusts to take 27's new location into consideration.

ENGINE_4

Premium Subscriber
well thanks again Jay

do you know if therte is a web site or link for the calgary fire CAD system, is there one like toronto's?

Jay911

Feed Provider
No website. Probably be a hard sell to the powers that be, too. I don't have a clue how places like Toronto and North Vancouver convince their management that posting stuff on the web is a good idea in this day and age.

Don't get me wrong, though. Would I want to see it? You bet. But considering that people with CFD live scanners have been 'persuaded' by the city to shut down, I don't see a live CAD page to be a reality any time soon.

ENGINE_4

Premium Subscriber
so if then #27 is closed permanently, the CFD is not going to build another station for that district then. Or

is it just closed down because or that gas thing, and the CFD doesn't want it open because there is not a

big enough call volume?

and also when did #27 stop becoming the back-up ARFF station?, i thought that that was a huge part of
the deal with the airport. (to have a second station that carry's ARFF vehicles)

thanks =D

Jay911

Feed Provider
I can't guess what they would do with 27's area. Technically speaking, it's covered quite well by the other stations in the area. There is a calculation that is done in all big cities and other places to determine where firehalls and other emergency services stations/resources need to be placed. It may very well turn out that the area can still be covered to acceptable criteria without 27 being in position.

And 27 is still very much part of the airport response ... the pumper attends all AC type responses and as mentioned before handles a lot of the terminal situations along with R6.

ENGINE_4

Premium Subscriber
well thank you yet again Jay, i think if CFD is going to permanently close #27, they could do the same thing to #5 (and not relocate it), this is very interesting.

ow and i thought that #27 ran a pump, a PRU unit (ems), and a foam unit because i thought that they covered part of the grounds, but i guess you could run a truck from #13 up there pritty fast!!!

mully

Jay911, ENGINE_4, MrVelvet, et al, I'm looking forward to coffee as this is a great conversation and exactly the reason why we all 'scan'. Cheers!

ENGINE_4

Premium Subscriber
if and when station #32 is built and finished (the new building), are they going to have a aerial and bush

buggy stationed there, and some ems units or are they just going to have a 3-bay station with a pump and

ems (2-3 unit's) stationed there?

thanks

Jay911

Feed Provider
Truth be told, it's hard to tell these days. Last year, I heard that the impending opening of 33 station was going to be "the last single pump hall" meaning that all further stations would have more apparatus. In the meantime, though, there's been a lot of equipment moves/malfunctions/etc., and above all that, the city has recently stated its intent to focus its resources on in-city responses. In other words, they don't intend to respond outside the city as a first responder for much longer (but will come out for mutual aid if requested). So the likelihood is tankers and other such apparatus that would respond out of the city may not be needed. As for aerials, if they have any, it could be beneficial to put them in.

ENGINE_4

Premium Subscriber
so what your saying Jay is that calgary could lose a tanker or 2, and switch them into aerials?, and

almost stop the whole tanker thing together then. Well calgary could use some more aerials (but really

quints would be the way to go) =D, thanks Jay

ENGINE_4

Premium Subscriber
wait if CFD gets rid of a tanker or 2, wouldn't they have to replace them with emerg.'s or some other type

of rescue vehicle. Because the tankers like #22 for example hold things like rescue tools and such so

would they be pressing more emerg.'s into service or what?

Jay911

Feed Provider
Not necessarily. There's tools on 22 Tank simply because there wasn't an emergency close by when it was first established. This was when 4 was on the other side of the Deerfoot, on Moncton Road, and there was no 31E.

A whole bunch of pumps have mini-cutters too of similar design to the set that 22T carries.

For what it's worth, 25T used to carry a set of tools, but the new truck doesn't. No reason why was given, but I would imagine the space could be used for something more advantageous (perhaps more foam) and 9 Heavy is quite close anyway.

ENGINE_4

Premium Subscriber
well thanks jay, so they would just replace the tanker with aerial then?

i was just looking at staion #28, is there just a pump and medic there is is there a spare there to?,

because that station looks it could hold alot