CFD Apparatus status

ENGINE_4

Has anyone heard or seen a 4th MRU (22 MRU), Engine 42 or Rescue 11? These are supposed to be the next units entering service.

Calgary Fire Water Rescue 6 Photos

Hello All:
Here are some photos I captured July 2018 at Harvey's Passage (Calgary) . Calgary Fire Services Water Rescue 6.
Hope you can make out the photos, balancing act to meet the Manage Attachment requirement .

Attachments

• CFD Water Rescue 6 02 small.jpg
    CFD Water Rescue 6 02 small.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 389
  • CFD Water Rescue 6 03 Small.jpg
    CFD Water Rescue 6 03 Small.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 395
  • CFD Water Rescue 6.jpg
    CFD Water Rescue 6.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 391

ENGINE_4

Thank you for the pictures Intellgence2008!

MRU 22 is now in service. I am not sure if Engine 50 is in Station 22 still though.

ENGINE_4

With these new Rescues, a new Heavy Rescue Team (HRT) will be formed! (starting January 2019 if not before)

It was explained to me because of how long it takes to get to HRT emergencies on opposite sides of the city and availability of the Team that a new Heavy Rescue Team is needed and will be based out of 10 Station.

Station 2 will no longer have rope rescue or possibly even a Rescue truck based at the station as the core will be surrounded by Rescue Trucks - I will get to this in a minute.

One of the current Rescues (probably Rescue 2's current rig - (R0207)) Will become the new Heavy Rescue Support Unit and one of the New Rescues will Operate as the new "Heavy Rescue" until a brand new "Heavy Rescue" truck and Support truck can be tendered, built and put into service.

The spare HRS would need some modifications made to it, but even then between the two truck they will not be able to hold all of the Heavy Rescue equipment needed

9 Heavy Rescue Team will move to Station 11, effectively making a north HRT and south HRT that are more centrally located.

Not all the kinks with Rescue Truck placement sounded like they were all worked out yet, so this is really just a guess that there might not be a "Rescue 2" anymore seeing as how there would/could still be Rescues 8/10/11/12 effectively surrounding the downtown core.

This move would also leave service gaps in the south end of the city but again as we all know apparatus placements can and will change based on the response needs/times within the city. But i wouldn't be surprised if this effected Aerial 11, 23 and Tender 25 and other units (there was a Rescue ear marked for station 23 a while ago)

I don't know what other crews or stations will respond to calls with these teams - currently its just 9 and 25 station that make up this team but that will all change

ahp309

Add Rescue 4 to the list of rescues surrounding the downtown core.

With 11 aerials/towers in service, I find it odd that there is only one stationed in the entire NE quadrant of the city.

Ghostpolice24

YYC Filmer
I agree, A27 is far northeast too and it's response is a bit delayed, there's points where sending A18 or A23 from the NW and SE are faster than A27 and they juggle calls that require aerials. I feel 4 would be a good spot for a Aerial and have maybe Hazmat move to 22 or 32.

ENGINE_4

A Hazmat in 4 Station is key because of its geographic location, right beside Deerfoot and 16th ave - any direction, quick response. I really wish we had access to the incident/call numbers and where on the map/which district(s) they respond into most. Only 3 Hazmat's in the city and they have to be some what centrally located to respond :(

There are 5 Spare Aerials.... could throw one of the 2011's back into service or just keep the Bronto out of service, keep their spare Aerial in service and relocate them...... But then there might not be enough spare Aerials available ;)

ENGINE_4

Better yet, take Tender 25’s crew and make them an Aerial crew and then just cross staff the Tender when they need too. The crew already does that when they have a spare Aerial anyways. Then perhaps relocate them...

ahp309

Heard today that the plan for 2 heavy rescues will not happen until next year.

Also, CFD crews will be out of the airport soon. replacement manpower will come from a private company.

ENGINE_4

Unfortunately I could see that happening with the airport... isn't/wasn't Calgary the only city in Canada to have city firefighters cover there own airport? of course cost is the problem here because up to this point it looked like CFD has a very good working relationship with YYC. I guess will have stations 3 and 13 that don't exist.

Has anyone ever been told why CFD went back to PA300 series sirens? Is it cost and warranty issues with E2QB Sirens that made them go back to PA's? a lot of Canadian cities are doing this, it is a serious turn off for me

ahp309

Thinking back....the other city fire departments that I can remember were Richmond to the Vancouver International Airport from the late 1990's to around 2005, and Edmonton at the Municipal Airport.

JABoomer

Unique CFD Apparatus

Hi there, fellow fire truck fan here. I was wondering if anyone had pictures or a brief description of what capabilities the following CFD apparatus have?

-MRUs, are these just suburbans with medical equipment on board?

-5 High-Rise Support, lots of pics of this unit but what's unique about this apparatus?

-7&20 Fire Rescue Paramedic

-9 Heavy Rescue Support

-How do Rescues and Heavy Rescues differ in the CFD?

-11 Parkade Truck, is it different from the bush buggies?

-11 Rat-Rail

-What to the Haztec vans do?

-4/30 Decon Unit

-35 Hazmat Recovery

-Mobile Training Unit

Appreciate any insights! Thx.

ahp309

Some basic info.....

- MRU's - 2 man crew responding with basic medical equipment.
- 5 High Rise Support - carries large capacity fans, and equipment loaded on carts for easy movement into buildings.
- FRP's respond to active fire situations.
- 9 Support carries additional shoring/plywood etc. to back up 9 Heavy Rescue.
- 9 Heavy Rescue carries much more equipment/shoring for building collapse, confined spaces, trench rescue and mechanical entrapment than the normal rescue trucks do. Also part of Canada Task Force 2 HUSAR (Heavy Urban Search and Rescue 2) There is a HUSAR 2 tractor trailer unit kept at the fire school.
-11 Parkade is a low clearance truck for driving through parkades. Similar to a Bush buggy and if I remember correctly the current truck used to be Red 6 to respond from Station 13 to medical calls at the Airport.
- 11 Rat-rail is used on the train tracks to move people/equipment into tunnels etc.
- Haztec vans used by Hazardous Goods technicians when not driving one of the 2 Hazmat trucks.
- Decon units are for decontaminating equipment/suits used by Haztec members at Hazardous Goods incidents.
- 35 Hazmat Recovery carries drums that can be filled with Hazardous materials and then sealed for transport to a environmental re-mediation facility.
- Mobile Training Unit has 2 driver training positions for simulated driver training.

ENGINE_4

Just to add to aph309's post. 5 Highrise has a wheel chair lift in the truck, its used to bring down 8 wheeled carts that can be used in Highrise Operations - venting, forced entry, hose, command, etc.. it's also CFD's second Air/Light unit for the city, so it can refill SCBA's on scene, tables chairs and rehab tents for firefighters, etc... here is a video of it from SVI https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiIw0Fc1q-A&t=2s

FRP's are firefighter paramedics that monitor/evaluate firefighters and perhaps even patience's? (if AHS isnt on scene yet..?) at any working or greater alarm fire, serious rescue or hazmat call, multiple unit training event, etc..

JABoomer

FRP's are firefighter paramedics that monitor/evaluate firefighters and perhaps even patience's? (if AHS isnt on scene yet..?) at any working or greater alarm fire, serious rescue or hazmat call, multiple unit training event, etc..

So these are broadly equivalent to RAC trucks used in other departments?

Can Haztec vans can do limited cleanups, and larger jobs require an Hazmat apparatus?

ENGINE_4

No. closest thing to a RAC unit would be 5 Highrise and 7 Airlight. FRP's run X-Airdrie ambulances but they are not allowed to transport people to hospitals, though they are literally set up like ambulances. I don't know of any other departments that have firefighter/medical programs quite like this, so i have nothing to compare them too.

For Haztec's, I dont know much.. they run separate from the bigger Hazmat trucks - those 3 trucks in the city respond to any sort of hazmat situation - spills, CO alarms, etc... and should have a haztech level trained crew on board, just like the 4 Hazmat Engines in the city. The Haztech vans I would think run a higher ranking firefighter, one that could take charge of the technical stuff at a hazmat call but not like a district chief/battalion chief level firefighter.

Please someone correct me if i'm wrong!