• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

CFD Apparatus (was CFD Truck Movement)

Fleet number on the side is the only real way one can differentiate between the 16's-19's unless someone knows of the little changes (if any) between the orders of trucks. When CFD placed their original order of 19 Smeal Engines they were looking for a multi-year contract to eventually replace ALL Engines within the fleet and stick to one design; basically one unified truck so it would be simpler to train on, work with and maintain.

I can't see any obvious differences in this truck compared to the 16's or 17's but i doubt CFD would exchange a 2010 truck for a 16 or 17. So I am assuming this is one of the new 18's

CFD has a lot of spare apparatus, somewhere around 14 engines, 4 ladders, and 6 rescues. How often are these apparatus used, and in what circumstances? Regular maintenance on front-line apparatus? Is their regular down-time for certain apparatus after call-outs? Or major mechanical repairs from the manufacturer?

I suppose there's not much downside to keeping a few older units around, it just seems like a lot.

There is a yearly pump test, yearly road certification/general kinda check and I imagine they change the oil, etc after every few thousand km’s like a car and anything thing else the crews finds?
CFD also leases out Engines to surrounding departments too

A quick update: Engine 40 has a new Smeal. The Special Events Unit is acting as a spare bushbuggy/FRP unit again (currently as FRP 7). The investigators have received new 2018 highroof Ford Transit vans. I would expect the District Chiefs to follow soon. CFD and other city agencies are all pushing the get these highroof type Ford Transit vans