CFD Apparatus status

ENGINE_4

Premium Subscriber
Fleet number on the side is the only real way one can differentiate between the 16's-19's unless someone knows of the little changes (if any) between the orders of trucks. When CFD placed their original order of 19 Smeal Engines they were looking for a multi-year contract to eventually replace ALL Engines within the fleet and stick to one design; basically one unified truck so it would be simpler to train on, work with and maintain.

I can't see any obvious differences in this truck compared to the 16's or 17's but i doubt CFD would exchange a 2010 truck for a 16 or 17. So I am assuming this is one of the new 18's

ENGINE_4

Premium Subscriber
E6118 is Engine 41
E3418 is in Station 37 - will likely become Engine 37

JABoomer

CFD has a lot of spare apparatus, somewhere around 14 engines, 4 ladders, and 6 rescues. How often are these apparatus used, and in what circumstances? Regular maintenance on front-line apparatus? Is their regular down-time for certain apparatus after call-outs? Or major mechanical repairs from the manufacturer?

I suppose there's not much downside to keeping a few older units around, it just seems like a lot.

ENGINE_4

Premium Subscriber
There is a yearly pump test, yearly road certification/general kinda check and I imagine they change the oil, etc after every few thousand km’s like a car and anything thing else the crews finds?
CFD also leases out Engines to surrounding departments too

ENGINE_4

Premium Subscriber
A quick update: Engine 40 has a new Smeal. The Special Events Unit is acting as a spare bushbuggy/FRP unit again (currently as FRP 7). The investigators have received new 2018 highroof Ford Transit vans. I would expect the District Chiefs to follow soon. CFD and other city agencies are all pushing the get these highroof type Ford Transit vans

Ghostpolice24

YYC Filmer
Aerial 1 is a spare Pierce 2 axle quint rn
Anyone know how long it'll be before Rescue 4s regular rig cones back into service?

ahp309

CFD crews at the Special Olympics show and shine on Saturday said the big Bronto is back working out of 25.

ENGINE_4

Premium Subscriber
I was told otherwise back at Disaster Alley, they told me it's more of a show model now rather than an active truck?

I was told the Bronto would be back in service at 25 Station as more of a special unit/water tower/show piece. Also, Station 25 does not have an Aerial.
The Bronto is a historic piece of CFD so I would not expect it to be gone so soon.
Also, I was told the Bronto would not be allowed to hold firefighters in its bucket, but could be used as a water tower/elevated master stream/what ever you want to call it - at a fire scene (the monitor on the bucket apparently is remote controlled now) But I have not seen the truck for a long time, nor do I have a second source to confirm it. Regardless, we likely won't see the Bronto on the streets too much, actively.

Maybe at a big fire or at a special show or something, but not much else. I always think of the Chicago Fire Department with how they utilized there big Snorkel before they retired it - Chicago 2-11 5-28-11 « chicagoareafire.com (Last picture on page - truck was special called)

ENGINE_4

Premium Subscriber
Looking around.. this seems more like a "browning out" or rotational unit closure/out of service for a shift - not long term. Still rough to see.

technocardy

Aerial 23 involved in an MVC today while responding hot. Sounds like they were out of service at the shop for multiple hours post incident but I believe they're back in service and still out of Station 16.

technocardy

Aerial 23 is now out of service and has been replaced with Rescue 23, still out of Station 16 while renovations at Station 23 are ongoing. R23's truck number is R1107.

Truck number doesn't appear to be listed in the FireWiki page, so I must have heard it wrong or it's just not in there. Someone correct me if I got it wrong please!

ENGINE_4

Premium Subscriber
I don't know of any "R11--" at all in the Rescue fleet. Is there still a Rescue at 12?

North Chief has relocated to Station 40 and the renovations are complete at 22 so Engine 50 is back at 22
CFD's 2018 report is out as well - always a good read. The City of Calgary -