CFD Apparatus status

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Ok, the album is done.

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee99/jay911_50/Fire/CFD/Apparatus/?albumview=link

I have no idea why it sorts them in the order I upload them, rather than by title or filename. Sorry.

Next project: Rural rigs around our area :D Later on tonight tho.. takes ages to upload to PB after I sort them on my PC.

E4: Yes 18 is (or would be if it wasn't busted.. again) running the Smeal 105', the one I commented on earlier that used to be at 12. And the benefit of an aerial at 13 was negligible so it was essentially tossed. The older aerials, the 1981s and 1982s, were getting REALLY bad in terms of repairability. I'm frankly stunned that Crossfield Fire (54 Station) willingly purchased one and keeps it serviceable.

MrVelvet

Great album Jay - thanks for the pictures. I can't wait to see the rural stuff, I always hear it on the scanner but never know what the rigs look like. (72 for example)

If you are having problems with PB, then you could use Google's Picasaweb, its a breeze to use.

ENGINE_4

Premium Subscriber
yes, very good gallery Jay, Very Nice!!!, can't wait to see the rural stuff!!! =D.

so Jay since 13 aerial is gone, is there another apparatus like a pumper or something in it's place, or is it just all airport response trucks at 13?

ENGINE_4

Premium Subscriber
I see that the rapid response truck that was in #3 is now stationed at #13, (it's there bush buggy/ airport parkade pump? ) dose anyone know if this rig is a stand-by, or full time staffed?, thanks

Last edited:

Jay911

Feed Provider
13BB is shared by the Red 6 crew. One truck or the other can go out, but not both.

There's no pumper at 13, just ARFF trucks. Though every couple of years, there's a rumbling that goes through the department about closing 27 and moving the pump up to 13 to become 13 Pump.

Starting on the rural now.. will post later.

MrVelvet

Another outstanding album Jay, there are alot of trucks I really wanted to see.

Isn't the MD of Rockyview going to black/red for all their new trucks?

Oh, did you buy the mini-pumper? :D

Last edited:

Jay911

Feed Provider
That'd be a pretty safe bet. You will see I don't have pics of 72 Pump - that's because it's not here yet. It and a bunch of other trucks are being manufactured by Fort Garry Industries in Manitoba.

Madden, Langdon, and Irricana are getting/will have gotten soon trucks pretty much exactly like Springbank's pumper.

Balzac's pumper is, I think, supposed to be very similar too. They are also slated for a bush buggy and possibly an aerial (though the management has changed since I heard that, so all bets could very well be off).

For what it's worth, the next station in Rockyview is going to be in Elbow Valley, on Highway 8 near Stonegate or whatever it's called, at the top of the hill west of Lott Creek/Clearwater Drive. It's been announced, but I have no idea when it will be built... just that it's next up.

ENGINE_4

Premium Subscriber
very nice pic's Jay!!!, loved both albums.

here is another pumper from Airdrie i think it's in station 1

also 1 of my friends was woundering if the airlight unit in calgary is stationed at #23 now, and also if it's crossmaned my 23 pump?, thanks and great pic's

Last edited:

Jay911

Feed Provider
That pic is too small for me to tell. It might be the 'new' 58 Pump (all my pics of Airdrie are pretty old). For what it's worth, the pic appears to have been taken at the CFD training tower. on 23 Av SE.

Yes, the Air-Light is at 23 now. The reason behind this is that it is now closer to being centralized in the city. This was made possible by medic 323 moving to 12 station and becoming medic 212.

The crews on 23 Pump are trained to operate the Air-Light, but it has its own dedicated 2 person crew 24/7 on all shifts.

Jay911

Feed Provider
MrVelvet - you asked if we bought the mini-pumper. Not sure which one you mean. All of Redwood's current trucks, FYI, have been constructed custom-built by members, saving the town tons of money. Our volunteer chief is an auto-diesel instructor at SAIT and may other members have varying skills which help significantly.

50 Pump's chassis (the cab and running gear) was bought new from Superior Emergency Vehicles in 1993. They put a refurbished pump on from our old 1969 Superior (with an aluminum body from a 1985 CFD pumper) and mated it all together.

50 Engine came from three different trucks. The cab & chassis is, as mentioned, old #27 Pump. Calgary kept their Squrt boom to mount on P1897 (which became #25 Pump). We scrapped the steel body that had been on the truck, which was actually welded to the frame, and put on an aluminum body from another 1985-vintage CFD pumper. That body was stretched to fit around the very large pump, and notched at the back to allow us to drop in a Squrt tower we obtained from a pumper that the Alberta Fire Training School in Vermilion, AB, had in their inventory. It was a retired foam pumper from Syncrude.

50 Rescue, as mentioned, was a 1996 Road Rescue ambulance that was driven through one of the vehicle traps that is supposed to only be used by buses. We had to relocate the front axle (which was pushed rearwards), straighten out the cab & frame, and do some minor repairs on the seal between the cab and the patient module, and it was ultimately certified roadworthy and has served us well for almost 10 years now.

50 Rapid Response used to be known as our Bush Buggy. It was originally the "First Response" seen in one very old photo in the album - which was a 1981 F250 3/4-ton with a TransAlta Utilities service box mounted on the back, and a 100 gallon water tank with a gas powered portable pump. The box was later mounted on the back of a 1986 F250 1-ton, both of which btw were only rear-wheel-drive, which made it hard to run as a bush buggy in some of the heavy brush. That truck still exists today as a service vehicle for the townsite public works department. We bought the current truck's rescue style body from Wholesale Fire Rescue here in Calgary and mounted it to a 1990 GMC C-series long-wheelbase 1-ton chassis purchased from the M.D. of Rockyview. It was most recently used by them as a public works truck with a flatbed on it - again, another rear-wheel-drive gas power plant. The little walkway in between the cab & body is because the wheelbase is exactly 23 3/4" longer than the body is designed for. Rather than spend time cutting the frame or relocating the rear axle, we put a small platform in there. :) (We can't work from it, though, because of the lack of fall protection.) And now, as of about this time next month, we will be taking delivery of a 2009 Dodge Ram 5500 1-ton diesel 4x4 chassis to put under the rescue body, and retiring the 1990 cab & chassis to the public works side. :D

What is now called 50 Bush Buggy used to be 50 Panel - "Panel" being CFD's term for a utility truck. Over the years, we had a 1984 GMC K3500 Suburban for use as a crew carrier until we all but literally drove the wheels out from under it - it was very tired. The pickup truck now in service is a 1996 GMC 1500 4x4 gas powered truck donated by TransCanada Pipelines. We fashioned a "bush buggy" slide-in package for the pickup bed, consisting of a plastic 125-gallon tank and a Wajax portable pump donated by Alberta Forest Service after the 2005 flooding.

Finally the tanker. 50 Tank, as mentioned in the album, began life as a 1986 Ford C8000 cab & chassis running the garbage pickup routes of Calgary. We bought the cab & chassis at auction (you can keep the garbage packer body, thank you) and came up with a well-kept fuel tank formerly owned by Imperial Oil. After cleaning & re-baffling the tank so it would be safe for water hauling, we mounted it on the chassis and had a fire truck manufacturer put a small (500 gpm) pump and some fire equipment compartments on it. That truck can actually fight a fire by itself, if necessary - once about 5 years ago the tanker arrived before a Calgary pumper on a mutual aid call on Highway 8 for a semi-truck on fire, and the two personnel on board began knocking the fire down until CFD arrived. Anyway, this truck is driven by a Cat 3208 engine, which is normally a pretty powerful diesel motor, but with 2500 gallons of water on board, it feels rather gutless. Next summer, Pierce Fire Apparatus is going to deliver a new 2009 Contender 1000-gallon/1250gpm pumper on a Kenworth chassis (arh arh arh!) and ultimately, one of the pumpers will be retired - perhaps to be rebuilt as a tanker and replace the current tank.

Keep watching all those albums... if I get bored, I might post some at-scene pics in there. :)

ENGINE_4

Premium Subscriber
Thank you very much Jay. As you gussed it I have yet another question and so does my friend (again) =D
mine is: were is the Air Monitoring Vehicle (AMV) located. and my friends question (kinda big question) he would like to know were all the district chiefs are housed in the city, (lol sorry for the big question), thanks

Last edited:

Jay911

Feed Provider
AMV used to be kept at 16, but it may be at the Rayton building now - CFD rents space out of a commercial warehouse a few blocks south of 16 for some of their hazmat and support stuff.

East Chief is in 4 station.
South Chief is in 16.
North Chief is in 17.
West Chief is in 20.

There is a rumor of a fifth "Central" chief position to be created (which will take city core away from WDC).

MrVelvet

By the "mini-pump", I meant did you yourself buy the Japanese fire truck? Maybe use it as a daily commuter to and from work? :D

Jay911

Feed Provider
There's no pumper at 13, just ARFF trucks. Though every couple of years, there's a rumbling that goes through the department about closing 27 and moving the pump up to 13 to become 13 Pump.

Geez, was that timely...

Deb Bergeson via CityBeat said:
Date: Fri Jul 11 21:16:06 2008
Subject: Calgary Fire Dept. Temporarily Moves Crews from Station #27 to Station #13

-----BEGIN MD5 -----------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------
CITYBEAT - CITY OF CALGARY PRESS RELEASE
-----------------------------------------------------------------

The Calgary Fire Department has temporarily closed Fire
Station #27 (located at 320 Aviation Way NE) and moved its
crew and Pumper truck to Station #13 (located at 2021 - 78
Avenue NE). This precautionary move is due to air quality
testing that revealed elevated levels of carbon dioxide,
carbon monoxide and spikes in relative humidity in the fire
station.

“Service to the surrounding area will not be impacted, as
crews will continue to operate out of neighbouring Station
#13,” says Deputy Chief of Operations, Steve Dongworth of the
Calgary Fire Department.

“Station #13 was chosen for the temporary relocation of #27
Pump after an analysis of response coverage provided by
alternative locations was completed. This station was shown
to be the best place to situate Pump #27 to continue to
provide city-side coverage as well as supporting Station
#13.”

Dongworth says the analysis showed that relocating #27 Pump
to Station #13 may actually provide the City with better
coverage, as most of the calls #27 responds to are located
north of the station and closer to Station #13.

Further air quality testing of Station #27 will be completed
within the next month. After the results are known, a
permanent decision will be made regarding the continued
operation of Station #27.

“The preliminary air quality testing revealed the elevated
levels of carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide will have
minimal impact on firefighter health. However, they fall
outside the guidelines provided by experts such as the Centre
for Disease Control in the United States and our own Health
and Safety guidelines,” says Deputy Chief Dongworth

“We felt it was necessary to relocate fire crews until we
know the full picture.”