CFH 73.6

Status
Not open for further replies.

hfxChris

Database Admin
Not sure if anyone notices, or cares, but the LF broadcast on 73.6 kHz has been absent for the last few months, I figured with the current state of the Canadian Navy only really having one active sub on the east coast, this broadcast has been discontinued and everything's probably routed through Cutler.
Well, I just noticed tonight it seems to be back. Could've been maintenance I suppose.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
Not sure if anyone notices, or cares, but the LF broadcast on 73.6 kHz has been absent for the last few months, I figured with the current state of the Canadian Navy only really having one active sub on the east coast, this broadcast has been discontinued and everything's probably routed through Cutler.
Well, I just noticed tonight it seems to be back. Could've been maintenance I suppose.

It has disappeared for extended periods before. Note also that is generally not present on the weekends and holidays. For the guy in NV, their station near Vancouver (in Esquimalt-Matsqui, BC, uses (used?) 76.2 kHz - but I have only once heard its signal hear in Virginia. Transmissions from both appear to be an unusual 150 Bd. Also note that these wavelengths are probably used for "near" vessels that HF might skip over - not for submarines which need VLF like transmitted from "nearby" (to Halifax) USN Cutler, ME.

hfxChris

Database Admin
It has disappeared for extended periods before. Note also that is generally not present on the weekends and holidays. For the guy in NV, their station near Vancouver (in Esquimalt-Matsqui, BC, uses (used?) 76.2 kHz - but I have only once heard its signal hear in Virginia. Transmissions from both appear to be an unusual 150 Bd. Also note that these wavelengths are probably used for "near" vessels that HF might skip over - not for submarines which need VLF like transmitted from "nearby" (to Halifax) USN Cutler, ME.

Thanks for the info! I don't spend a lot of time that low, but being in Halifax here it's usually pretty noticeable when I do see it, so the absence was definitely notable.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info! I don't spend a lot of time that low, but being in Halifax here it's usually pretty noticeable when I do see it, so the absence was definitely notable.

I actually drove from Virginia a couple years ago to see the transmitter antennas at Halifax (actually at Newport Corner). I seem to recall it disappearing for several weeks about this time in at least one past year.

You guys sure have a porcupine problem--saw the road kill and billboards with ads from a company to train your dog to avoid.

Status
Not open for further replies.