• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Ch. 6 AM

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeMic

I've been off air since the early 90's, and have found ch. 6 always has a guy on in the mornings, but I can't understand him well. Do you all know this guy? Is this ch. normally like this? I saw a youtube video of a guy in Detroit that has this crazy setup pissing off his neighbors, same guy?

Sorry if this is common knowledge or has been covered before. Just getting back into the radio after years of parenting, but kids are grown and time for me to go get my technician and hopefully general.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Channel 6 is where the people running kilowatts of power trying to shoot skip hang out. There are a lot of them, and the cast of characters varies by skip conditions.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
There's an op with a very strong signal on Ch. 6 when the band is open, not uncommon. I've also heard that channels 6 and 11 are called the superbowl channels. The other remaining 38 channels seem to be normal operations though.

Retroradio

Generally The SSB dx crowd is on LSB 28 to 38 . Ch 38 is the main channel I beleive. When the bands are open its entertaining to listen to as innthis locale CB is dead.
The superbowl ch6 AM is a mess of overpowered cliche driven noise..It was like that 30 plus years ago and is still going strong.....lol

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The upper channels are mainly used by sideband folks, some running extra power and some not.

6 is where the people with stupid TX power go to play. I rarely hear anything intelligent there.

prcguy

Channel 6 seems to have a language all its own, which is somewhat related to the Engilish language, but with many caveats.

For example, lets say you want to announce your going to the doughnut shop. You would usually say "I'm going down to the doughnut shop this morning". But on channel 6 you would modify that, announce it several times with a pause between the second and third statement emphasizing specific words and also insert your "CB handle" many times during the message something like this:

Yo, dis is da Grey Ghost and I be go-in down to da doughnut shop dis mo-nin, I say dis is da Grey Ghost, and I be go-in down, I say go-in down to da doughnut shop dis mo-nin. Dis is da Grey Ghost, da Grey Ghost, da Greeeeeeey Ghost, and I be go-in down, I say go-in down, go-in doooown, to dat doughnut shop dis mooooo-nin, and I be back quiet."

As you can see, this language is very inefficient, taking several times longer to get the message across and in most cases the contents of the message is actually less important than the act of sending a message. Practicing this language also has the effect of lowering ones IQ, which may be simply a temporary effect, but in many cases it actually causes a permanent reduction in the senders IQ that cannot be recovered.

I've seen some cases where prior to sending a message over channel 6 the sender converses in a proper "Kings English" then switches to this other language during the sending of a CB message and then returns to proper Kings English when conversing in person. Its a fascinating phenomenon to watch.

Last edited:

ipfd320

Banned
Ha Ha Yep Good Ol 11--Here,s a Clip For Ya----https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laf6c4-CPm4&t=114s

and For You Ch 6 Nuts---https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzU2R68HZ3w

The Key Down Contests were The Best..Carefully Watch at the 55 Second Mark
.lol---https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef6z3MaLOrU

blakews2217

That much rf leaving and I would not be surprised if most of those people have cancer. There’s a local op here that’s always on ch6. Annoying as hell because his amp spatters across 4 channels easy. If it’s a good night for skip I’ll hear him when I’m talking to the locals on 23 and he will still be on 6. Absolutely annoying. His IQ is that of a pile of rocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fast1eddie

Idiots. CB was a novel idea at the time but gone horribly wrong and it will always be that way. Short of a nuclear war, I don't see how 11 meters will ever be cleaned up. I don't want to be around for the aftermath.

Crazy preppers shooting everyone on sight, more whackos. The ones I have meet have absolutely no clue, nothing more than keyboard kommandos.

Each to their own.

SnowWalker

In my area, the CB is quite active. There is a huge smelter just below us and a lot of raw ore is coming in from the US by truck. I would guess, by the volume of CB chatting between the truckers, at least 90% of those boys have CBs. I get to chat with a few of them now & then, but generally, I leave them alone.

We have a group (8) in our are who have CBs and though Ch. 19 is our contact ch. we rarely talk back & forth on 19. No, the CB is not dead.

soberbyker

Premium Subscriber
Pretty much echo what's been said for 6 in Philly. Bunch of over powered hard to understand idiots reading the mail wavin the hand just got down baah baah baah. I honestly don't see the point.

Unfortunately they splatter 3 or 4 in each direction and the construction business in my area uses one that gets splattered. Have to RFG/Squelch them out so much can barely hear nearby guys trying to get around on the job sites.

Then on 19 you have the less power hungry but still strong guys pounding their chests stepping on each other, along with the normal boys in mommy's basement talking about their panties.

Sucks the only two channels I'm on are so annoying CB isn't fun anymore.

KG5YWM

Was catching the free entertainment on 6 a little while back. There was this one cat on there saying, "PIGS FEET AND SODA WATER, PIGS FEET AND SODA WATER, PIGS FEET AND SODA WATER...." over and over for a amount of time longer than I was willing to listen. I'm sure he was impressing someone, not sure who though.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Thanks for the laughs! They have those key-down contests here from time to time. Whenever I need a laugh, I just turn on CB channel 6. The doughnut shop comment was awesome! And I never understood why they would announce that they were getting up just so they could announce that they were getting right back down.

Retroradio

Day not forget the infamous
" Im back in back and back out, I am treetop tall and worldwide".....its almost as bad as text speak......lol

Status
Not open for further replies.