Change History

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanesFan95

The Change History list for trunking systems shows a listing of changes that have been made to the system. But you can't tell what was changed or why. When you submit updates to the database, there's a checkbox to remain anonymous. It's not checked by default and I've never seen anything in the Change History that tells you the screen name of whoever submitted the change. So what does checking that box really do? It looks like it's anonymous whether it's checked or not.

And how can we tell more specifically what was changed? For example, look at this system:

BCI Communications (Tampa Capacity Plus).

If you click on the hyperlink that says Changed Site # 001 (Site 1) to 001 (Site 1), you can see a list of changes. But they aren't specific. For example, if it just says "Changed Site # 001 (Site 1) to 001 (Site 1)", how do we know what was actually changed? Was it a frequency, an LCN number, or what? Same thing with "(1) Talkgroups Updated (All)", "Updated Talkgroups (1 Updated)", and "Updated General Trunked System Information". Do "(1) Talkgroups Updated (All)" and "Updated Talkgroups (1 Updated)" mean the same thing? It would be nice if we could know what talk group was changed (or added?). Is there a way we can see what was changed and who submitted the update if the box wasn't checked? Right now, it only shows the admin screen name.

mciupa

Database Admin
Reach out to the Admin that made the changes via a message or a forum post. That will give you the definitive answer.

When it is undetectable, it could have been something so minor as removing an extra space in a description or a spelling correction in a talkgroup for the single change. For an All change, this could be a change in the sort order (alphabetical or decimal)

Linkero

"Changed Site # 001 (Site 1) to 001 (Site 1)" is just a change in name. Aka it changed from "# 001 (Site 1)" to "001 (Site 1)" (See post below)

When talkgroups are updated, the updated lines appear with a yellow background or a green background(explained below)
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=7214

Look for Dorchester County. You'll see one talkgroup with the yellow background. This is from the last update to the system, which was actually an added talkgroup, but the result is the same. Green backgrounds means the change was within the last 24 hours, yellow means the last 7 days.

As for "Talkgroups Updated (All)": "All" is the group it's in. With the above example, if you check the change list, you'll see the same format, but "Dorchester County" in place of "All", as that's the particular grouping it applied to

Last edited:

kma371

QRT
This isn't what:

"Changed Site # 001 (Site 1) to 001 (Site 1)" is just a change in name. Aka it changed from "# 001 (Site 1)" to "001 (Site 1)"

means because as you can see, the name didn't change. It means something in the site info changed, be it county, location GPS, NAC tones etc.

Linkero

This isn't what:

"Changed Site # 001 (Site 1) to 001 (Site 1)" is just a change in name. Aka it changed from "# 001 (Site 1)" to "001 (Site 1)"

means because as you can see, the name didn't change. It means something in the site info changed, be it county, location GPS, NAC tones etc.

Thank you for the correction. I figured that's what it was as the "#" was removed. I guess that's just how it's formatted on the page then. My apologies for trying to help.

CanesFan95

And if its past 24 hours or 7 days, then I don't think there's a way to know what changed.

kma371

QRT
Thank you for the correction. I figured that's what it was as the "#" was removed. I guess that's just how it's formatted on the page then. My apologies for trying to help.

No need to apologize. Just trying to inform :)

CanesFan95

The log that end users can see, or is that some other log that only the admins can see (that tells exactly what was changed)?

kma371

QRT
The log that end users can see, or is that some other log that only the admins can see (that tells exactly what was changed)?

We see what you can see actually. There is no separate log. The only advantage we have is we can see the submissions and infer what was changed.

CanesFan95

Okay, so it sounds like, final answer, no, end users cannot see exactly what was changed. But it's still uncertain if the checkbox makes any difference in being anonymous.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Some of the database changes we make are logged pretty vaguely in the Change History section of the Downloads and Reports page due to the nature of the way some data is stored. It's been that way since the beginning, not likely to change as it would require a ton of behind the scenes coding to make it more granular.

The Check this box if you wish to remain anonymous option on submissions does absolutely nothing except to flag the submission with a banner alerting the admins that the person making the submission does not want to be revealed. We can still see who makes the submission, so it doesn't hide your username. This option is kind of redundant, as by policy we're not permitted to reveal those details anyway, even if the box is not checked. Unless the submitter grants us permission to share what they've submitted, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.