Changes coming to AA Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Just a quick update on the MOB yesterday afternoon around Poplar Is. The USCG has been flying continuous searches - including overnight, and they are still on-going. The water temperature is warm enough for someone to survive for many hours if they were able to float.

dpm797

Those Baltimore Co and City units do NOT have those talk groups unless their radios have been reprogrammed recently. AACoFD made changes to the way they use certain talk groups. Those talk groups that those units do not have were not originally part of the MOU's through CMARC radio interoperability.
Those talk groups were not originally part of the templet that AACoFD had other jurisdictions put in their radios for use in responses to AA County. Th
There are these things called "checklists" that we use in aviation. Perhaps during the shift change / daily apparatus checkouts that standardized lists can be used that make sure that necessary equipment and reference materials are aboard. There are ways to mitigate human error / indifference. BTW, I'm not blaming anyone because these are perennial issues, but there is a reason that in aviation, accidents / equipment failures are exceedingly rare.

riveter

Premium Subscriber
Those Baltimore Co and City units do NOT have those talk groups unless their radios have been reprogrammed recently. AACoFD made changes to the way they use certain talk groups. Those talk groups that those units do not have were not originally part of the MOU's through CMARC radio interoperability.
Those talk groups were not originally part of the templet that AACoFD had other jurisdictions put in their radios for use in responses to AA County. Th

They have been.

All counties and the City surrounding AACO now have a full AACO zone with every TG from Alpha to Mike. Most don't have November since it's mostly internal admin.

MOUs have been getting very broad and templates much more open since the Riots and some more recent active-shooter and major-crimes/major-fire incidents in the state. It's slow, but culture, training, and IT are all changing for the better.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
They have been.

All counties and the City surrounding AACO now have a full AACO zone with every TG from Alpha to Mike. Most don't have November since it's mostly internal admin.

MOUs have been getting very broad and templates much more open since the Riots and some more recent active-shooter and major-crimes/major-fire incidents in the state. It's slow, but culture, training, and IT are all changing for the better.

Does that include Eastern Shore jurisdictions that respond on water rescues / boat fires? Just asking.

The MSP helos do not seem to have all TGs programmed.

riveter

Premium Subscriber
Does that include Eastern Shore jurisdictions that respond on water rescues / boat fires? Just asking.

The MSP helos do not seem to have all TGs programmed.

Believe so, but I can't recall off the top of my head. They should do, especially with the FiRST updates going in... every radio around the Bay should have been touched since FiRST went live in Central MD.

Trooper... they're a special case. They literally have so much stuff programmed in their radios, it's not hard to imagine them stressing the memory/programming capacity of the radio firmware/software. I haven't seen their codeplugs or fiddled with their radios, but they also have a unique problem in ensuring they are able to navigate through the radio to a particular jurisdiction's correct talkgroup with acceptable speed - one only has to imagine them having to flip through a zone for every agency in the State of Maryland and all surrounding states plus the District to think of how painful that process would be in a hurry. I wouldn't be surprised if they maintain a limited channel set just for de-clutter, and that seems to bear true with a few interactions I've had and heard with them.

Most agencies have a good feel for what channel(s) Trooper prefers/can accept though. Many are pretty good about doing appropriate incident channel assignments or quickly constructing a TG-TG patch in their consoles.

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
There is also now a "Fire Taskforce." Seems to be similar to the old "All Hands Box" or "Working Fire Dispatch."

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Over the weekend, I heard two water rescues dispatched. It seemed to me that the dispatcher was providing more detailed information on the "waterway" than they did previously. Is this a change, or or an anomaly?

jpeterson24

Premium Subscriber
Over the weekend, I heard two water rescues dispatched. It seemed to me that the dispatcher was providing more detailed information on the "waterway" than they did previously. Is this a change, or or an anomaly?
I think, due to PulsePoint integration, waterways are getting geocoded as if they had addresses so that they can be properly mapped. Thus, you'll hear something like "##### Severn River Waterway" for a particular buoy of the Severn River, for instance. These addresses aren't searchable in Google, for instance, but they seem to serve as the bridge between their CAD and PulsePoint.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
That is part of the new CAD system that the county fire and police went to earlier this year, NOT Pulse Point.
Admittedly, I know little about Pulse Point, but from what I can tell it is serves a public notification tool, and not a dispatch tool. Makes much more sense that the further integration of maps and location data (buoys e.g.) originates from the CAD system. I'm curious if the dispatch of a water rescue call also sends a marine chart of the area via CAD. Memorizing buoy numbers and locations, yuk.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
New Antenna Structure Registrations Granted

The FCC granted six new registrations in mid August to Anne Arundel County, presumably to approve tower / antenna construction related to the future Public Safety Radio Replacement project. The new sites are in:

Arnold
Brooklyn Park
Davidsonville
Friendship
Odenton
Edgewater

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I think I've managed to plot 21 or 22 (depending on reuse of existing sites) of the tower sites for the new 22-site system in my ongoing (and seemingly never-ending) project to map all the public safety systems in Maryland. During this process, it's interesting (but not surprising ) to find errors and missing data. It's probably due to data entry and paperwork slip ups, but I did run across an operational site in AA County that was unknown (to me at least.) Way back when, there was a tower site in Crofton that is recorded on one of the FCC licenses for the system. That site was cancelled and never built at the coordinates provided. A few weeks ago, I was browsing the FCC antenna database for intel on the new P25 system, and came across a 2018 approval for a tower site in Gambrills. I assumed this was a new site for the P25 system, but it described the tower as constructed in 2000's. It appears that the Gambrills site location replaced the location in Crofton, but the station licenses don't reflect its existence.

JayG1176

Regarding some things here, PulsePoint is meant for the Public to be able to see what is going on. On the other hand, I know the OP post is very old, Shift commander is back as BC2. You rarely see BC2 on duty anymore since BC2 is SCMD. Active911 is Internal for FD Personnel. Any other questions? Just ask away!

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Regarding some things here, PulsePoint is meant for the Public to be able to see what is going on. On the other hand, I know the OP post is very old, Shift commander is back as BC2. You rarely see BC2 on duty anymore since BC2 is SCMD. Active911 is Internal for FD Personnel. Any other questions? Just ask away!

Thanks for the info. Here's a question about the tablets / iPads that were issued a while back. What software do they run? Active911? Any other apps? What commercial cell carrier do they use? How have they been holding up in service (I know I've shattered my screen x2.)

JayG1176

Thanks for the info. Here's a question about the tablets / iPads that were issued a while back. What software do they run? Active911? Any other apps? What commercial cell carrier do they use? How have they been holding up in service (I know I've shattered my screen x2.)

They have cases like a tough book, The medic units still use tough books, I will check and see what software they run, I am not sure at this time. I know they definitely use Active911 and SME’s to Lowe the use for radio usage. Once I know more I’ll let you know

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
Some new Medic-Engine Companies Coming to Anne Arundel.

Stations 10, 5, 31, 40, 41, 20, & 26 Engine companies will be coming Medic-Engines.

n3bxv

And the “Medic-Engine” radio designator will stop being used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.