Changes coming to my local city frequencies in LE

Status
Not open for further replies.

f2shooter

Evening all,

Been a while since I visited here and honestly I've not been scanning as much as I had been. Getting back to it but saw something in todays paper that concerns me. Auburn city is going to get onto the same P-25 system used by the city of Montgomery. I'm wondering what this means in terms of our ability to keep up with LEO, fire, EMS and so on. It's going to be somehow connected to the same system Montgomery uses, not simply one just like it. I don't understand quite how that's going to work but quotes in the article indicate the city is trying to be more difficult to track on purpose. The next city over, Opelika, is digital but I can scan them without any problems. Montgomery, as far as I know, has been encrypted for some time. Should I expect this to happen here as well? Anyone else seen anything about this? Thanks.

Rick H.

riccom

Premium Subscriber
-.- .- -. ... .- ... / -.-. .. - -.-- / -- ---
Evening all,

Been a while since I visited here and honestly I've not been scanning as much as I had been. Getting back to it but saw something in todays paper that concerns me. Auburn city is going to get onto the same P-25 system used by the city of Montgomery. I'm wondering what this means in terms of our ability to keep up with LEO, fire, EMS and so on. It's going to be somehow connected to the same system Montgomery uses, not simply one just like it. I don't understand quite how that's going to work but quotes in the article indicate the city is trying to be more difficult to track on purpose. The next city over, Opelika, is digital but I can scan them without any problems. Montgomery, as far as I know, has been encrypted for some time. Should I expect this to happen here as well? Anyone else seen anything about this? Thanks.

Rick H.
you are thinking the Alabama first responder network, they are linked to the major cities, and i think they will be using that system.

try there

AE6QE

Much of Montgomery city and county LEO is unencrypted, but city FD is encrypted. I don't think the county FDs use the TRS, I hear the dispatches on a conventional repeater.

f2shooter

I just remembered that Auburn is building a large new police station, fire station, court offices and everything else so this should not have surprised me but I don't care for the comment in the article earlier this week that somehow safety of officers will be enhanced by going this route because of all the vhf scanners people have. I mean I have 7 or 8 I guess but so what? One day a few years ago I came home to find 9 police cars in my neighborhood. Concerned, I called the police station to ask what was going on. They flat out lied to me and said there was nothing happening. I didn't buy that for a minute and turned on a scanner to find there had been a home invasion a block away and they were looking for three people on foot and two in a car. I've heard three other foot chases that passed within a couple hundred feet of my house or my in-laws so one can understand why I might have a problem not being able to keep up with goings on here. Once the system is in place at a cost of more than $1,000,000 I'll do whatever I must to listen in.

Rick H.

Status
Not open for further replies.