Changes in Cibola County?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
I'm apparently having issues receiving Cibola County Sheriff and Grants PD. On the Sheriff side, I'm only hearing the Deputies on 154.75500, PL141.3. The database lists that as the repeater output. I set my 996XT in tone search mode and 141.3 continues to come across. I'm able to hear the dispatcher only occasionally, but the Deputies seem to hear them every time. All signals are coming across very strong.

I've heard nothing on PD's freq of 155.07000, PL127.3 PL and I've been in Grants for several hours as I write this. I have the scanner in tone search on this freq as well.

Nothing in my scanner's programming has changed in the past few months, and the FCC ULS doesn't show any recent changes either for either agency.

ChrisABQ

I do believe I have heard SO on that frequency today. Also found Laguna PD on 155.055 114.8. Have not heard anything from Grants either.

SCPD

QRT
Is it possible they are using multiple pl tones for the same frequency? Common in NM. Some will csq the Rx and others just add say 6 channels all the same but different tones and scan or if a voting system vote scan them.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
CCSO has multiple transmitters and I've never had an issue receiving them, so long as I'm within reasonable distance of the particular transmitter in use at the time. I don't know how the inputs are handled, but the outputs seem to be the same for each transmitter.

I was able to hear PD after a while and, like with SO, the published PL tone came across.

On my 436HP, I never heard either agency even though the correct freq and tone were programmed.

I'll be back this weekend so I'll see if reception is better. Maybe it was just a weird day for radio reception?

SCPD

QRT
Probably reception in location your in then. I have noticed some have good sensitivity with the 436 while others complain poor. Mine happens to be really decent including simulcast systems.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
Probably reception in location your in then. I have noticed some have good sensitivity with the 436 while others complain poor. Mine happens to be really decent including simulcast systems.
I'm generally happy with my 436 and the 996. The confusing part in all of this was that, on the 996, changing the programmed PL tone to "Search" allowed me to hear transmissions, even though the PL tone that was flashing was the same one that was programmed previously.

Maybe it was aliens harvesting what's left of the Uranium in the area? Lol.

I'll be in the area again this weekend so I'll see if all is back to "normal."

SCPD

QRT
Have you checked the squelch settings in the 436? Maybe turning it down or adjusting seeing if it makes a difference on recieving the frequencies there. If they are they been pretty busy down south in the skies lately.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
I'll play with the squelch if I encounter the same issue again. I haven't messed with the squelch on either device in many months.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
Well, this weekend saw me make two visits to the Grants area instead of my normal one. Both days (Friday and Today) I've had no unusual reception issues, like I experienced last weekend.

SCPD

QRT
Possibly they had a few units running mobile rather then on repeater. Happens sometime. Most users in range pick either, or and if they don't notice issues they just don't care in old NM.

Status
Not open for further replies.