• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Charging and listening PSR-800

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bronson24

Premium Subscriber
is there a power cord i can get to plug it into the wall and just use that as a main power source while listening to the scanner PSR-800 ?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
It's almost never a good idea to charge batteries in a scanner; without any way to control the current, monitor the temperature of the batteries to prevent overheating and other issues, you could end up with damaged batteries - and at worst, a leak which could do serious damage to the 800. I rather doubt that there's that much control over the charging current (although I don't see any technical reason why it couldn't be done- and I don't have a 800, so I wouldn't know for sure...)

This issue has been discussed quite a bit in other forums - external chargers like those from Maha are very highly regarded and worth the investment...best regards..Mike

Bronson24

Premium Subscriber
It's almost never a good idea to charge batteries in a scanner; without any way to control the current, monitor the temperature of the batteries to prevent overheating and other issues, you could end up with damaged batteries - and at worst, a leak which could do serious damage to the 800. I rather doubt that there's that much control over the charging current (although I don't see any technical reason why it couldn't be done- and I don't have a 800, so I wouldn't know for sure...)

This issue has been discussed quite a bit in other forums - external chargers like those from Maha are very highly regarded and worth the investment...best regards..Mike
I'm just trying to find out if i can power the PSR-800 without batteries in the unit pluged into a wall outlet..

exportdawg

I'm just trying to find out if i can power the PSR-800 without batteries in the unit pluged into a wall outlet..
I have two 800's using this same external(Might not be the exact same) chargers, No issues with either one.
***Also, I am not using re-charable batteries, just the standard AA's since I have them plugged into a backup USB power source***

Last edited:

Bronson24

Premium Subscriber
I have two 800's using this same external(Might not be the exact same) chargers, No issues with either one.
***Also, I am not using re-charable batteries, just the standard AA's since I have them plugged into a backup USB power source***
Can you power the PSR-800 while pluged into wall without any batteries in it?

exportdawg

Can you power the PSR-800 while pluged into wall without any batteries in it?
Good question, Have not tried it. Will try it later today and let you know.

Update: Just took the batteries out and it works fine with just the AC Adapter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.