Charging and listening PSR-800

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bronson24

Premium Subscriber
is there a power cord i can get to plug it into the wall and just use that as a main power source while listening to the scanner PSR-800 ?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
It's almost never a good idea to charge batteries in a scanner; without any way to control the current, monitor the temperature of the batteries to prevent overheating and other issues, you could end up with damaged batteries - and at worst, a leak which could do serious damage to the 800. I rather doubt that there's that much control over the charging current (although I don't see any technical reason why it couldn't be done- and I don't have a 800, so I wouldn't know for sure...)

This issue has been discussed quite a bit in other forums - external chargers like those from Maha are very highly regarded and worth the investment...best regards..Mike

Bronson24

Premium Subscriber
It's almost never a good idea to charge batteries in a scanner; without any way to control the current, monitor the temperature of the batteries to prevent overheating and other issues, you could end up with damaged batteries - and at worst, a leak which could do serious damage to the 800. I rather doubt that there's that much control over the charging current (although I don't see any technical reason why it couldn't be done- and I don't have a 800, so I wouldn't know for sure...)

This issue has been discussed quite a bit in other forums - external chargers like those from Maha are very highly regarded and worth the investment...best regards..Mike

I'm just trying to find out if i can power the PSR-800 without batteries in the unit pluged into a wall outlet..

exportdawg

I'm just trying to find out if i can power the PSR-800 without batteries in the unit pluged into a wall outlet..

I have two 800's using this same external(Might not be the exact same) chargers, No issues with either one.
***Also, I am not using re-charable batteries, just the standard AA's since I have them plugged into a backup USB power source***

Last edited:

Bronson24

Premium Subscriber
I have two 800's using this same external(Might not be the exact same) chargers, No issues with either one.
***Also, I am not using re-charable batteries, just the standard AA's since I have them plugged into a backup USB power source***

Can you power the PSR-800 while pluged into wall without any batteries in it?

exportdawg

Can you power the PSR-800 while pluged into wall without any batteries in it?

Good question, Have not tried it. Will try it later today and let you know.

Update: Just took the batteries out and it works fine with just the AC Adapter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.