• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Charging Base - worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KM4OBL

Authorized Personnel
I'm going to finally buy a G5, now that Phase 2 pre-sale is up and running. Do you think the charging base (non-amplified) is worth the cost? Do you think it makes it much easier to charge?

Thanks for the help!

Jeff

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
It really all depends on your definition of easier. LOL
Is it really that hard to move a plastic flap and plug in a micro usb cord?
I have a drop in charger for a while now and have yet to set it up next to my other 2-way radio chargers.

Guess its like the android phones. I have wireless charging on my phone and set it down to charge it but is it that much easier then plugging in a charger. :)

Its not like changing your tire with a lug wrench vs an impact wrench. ha ha ha..

Now in the long run yes. You will save wear and tear on that plastic cover on the side and wear and tear on the actual charging port as well. Not to mention if your having a bad day and take your anger out on the port by forcing the plug in to hard or backwards. Ive seen it happen on phones so its possible to happen on the Unication device.

Jimco

I'm going to finally buy a G5, now that Phase 2 pre-sale is up and running. Do you think the charging base (non-amplified) is worth the cost? Do you think it makes it much easier to charge?

I think it is. I have both the amplified base and the charging base. I actually prefer the charging base (non-amplified) because I lose the first second or so of audio on the amplified base. I almost always charge mine in the base and I find it very convenient.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
I got the non amplified charger with my G5 and I have mixed emotions on it.

It is nice to be able to drop the radio in and have it charge. It does save some wear and tear on the USB connector and protecting flap. If that is a concern.

I found the charger to be a bit flimsy and usually have to jiggle the radio around in the charger to get it to start charging. I usually let it charge overnight so I cannot state if the drop in charges faster than the USB cable (especially through a higher current USB port).

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
...Not to mention if your having a bad day and take your anger out on the port by forcing the plug in to hard or backwards. Ive seen it happen on phones so its possible to happen on the Unication device.

Hopefully, very soon, the USB C mini connector that my Galaxy S8 uses will be universal on all small electronic devices. It's so beautiful to have a connector with rounded ends that can be inserted either direction. Micro USB is too small for aging eyes to see properly in low light, and it's a PITA.

KM4OBL

Authorized Personnel
Hopefully, very soon, the USB C mini connector that my Galaxy S8 uses will be universal on all small electronic devices. It's so beautiful to have a connector with rounded ends that can be inserted either direction. Micro USB is too small for aging eyes to see properly in low light, and it's a PITA.

Good point. I know my aging eyes are not what they used to be.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Agreed on USB C or apples lightening connector. Very nice to just be able to plug with out having to make sure its the proper alignment.

Even though micro USB is a standard and eventaully USB C will be one, many devices still ship with mini USB.
Uniden scanners come to mind. :)

u7string

Premium Subscriber
I definitely like mine, but I doubt I would have ever paid $88 for it. I got mine free with a purchase of a G4 during a holiday sale. I think a $40 price point would make it much more attractive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I have a magnetic connector on my S8 and it's easier than just the C plug.. It also works either direction and it's small enough that doesn't interfere with the wireless charger. I love it.

KM4OBL

Authorized Personnel
I definitely like mine, but I doubt I would have ever paid $88 for it. I got mine free with a purchase of a G4 during a holiday sale. I think a $40 price point would make it much more attractive.

I agree with you - the price is steep. I'm still on the fence about spending for it. The only reason I'm considering it is that the Phase 2 upgrade is being included in the price of the G5.

Jeff

rvacs

Premium Subscriber
Amplified Base - works great but antenna that comes with it sucks - get a High Gain 800mhz. antenna too.

goodmore

Premium Subscriber
Turns out I didn't like the amplified base. Reception was worse than just the radio. Speaker was cheap and sounded like crap. For the money they want it just isn't close to the same quality standards as the G5 itself. Thought about getting just the charging base, but they want too much for that. I'll replace the USB flap when it breaks. They cost five bucks.

radio3353

Turns out I didn't like the amplified base. Reception was worse than just the radio. Speaker was cheap and sounded like crap. For the money they want it just isn't close to the same quality standards as the G5 itself. Thought about getting just the charging base, but they want too much for that. I'll replace the USB flap when it breaks. They cost five bucks.

Unless you are using your G5 in a severe environment, do you even need the flap? Those flaps seem like just an annoyance...like the one on my cell phone case. I usually cut them off anyway with no ill effect :lol:

rvacs

Premium Subscriber
Just an FYI - Mine came with a long whip antenna - that was not able to be easily shortened to the 800 Mhz. Band and signal would drop with the use of it. But once I bought a High Gain 800 Mhz. BNC antenna it works fabulous.

I like this better than fooling with plugging in the cable each time.

QuietPlease

...I'm trying to listen.
Database Admin
How do charging times compare for the three charging methods?

How does leaving the pager turned on affect the charging?

I'm considering the amplified charging base because I want to be able to come home and drop it in the charger and continue listening.

elias1988

Feed Provider
Just an FYI - Mine came with a long whip antenna - that was not able to be easily shortened to the 800 Mhz. Band and signal would drop with the use of it. But once I bought a High Gain 800 Mhz. BNC antenna it works fabulous.

If you got it online can you please post the link to it?

u7string

Premium Subscriber
So, I’d like to revisit this. My free charging base I got back in Dec (2017), no longer works. I’ll have to check with Scanner Master tomorrow to see if they can do anything about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.