Charging/Recycling Li-Ion Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
What are the ideal settings for charging and/or discharging Li-Ion batteries? For years, I've been using a Maha MH-C9000 for for both charging and recycling and I have to input both charge and discharge rates for recycling and charge rates for charging. I have to think it varies with the capacity of the battery.

KB4MSZ

Billy
Premium Subscriber
I can speak with the experience from RC hobby battery use. In most instances, Lipo batteries are charged with a current rate that matches their capacity. For example, a 2.2ah battery would be charged at a rate of 2.2 amps. This would charge a theoretically empty battery in roughly 1 hour. Most devices which use Lipo batteries don't allow the battery to be fully discharged, Lipo batteries are damaged quickly by over discharging or over charging, even a little bit. There are certain voltages the cells must never go below or over. The Battery Management Circuit in the device is responsible for maintaining this.

With a lot of RC hobby batteries, the charge rate can be quite high, as high as 10C, meaning 10 times the capacity (C). So a 3ah battery could be safely charged at a 30 ah rate. This should only be done if the manufacturer states the battery is designed for this rate. Of course, the slower the charge rate, the longer the battery will provide good service.

Usually somewhere on the battery label the manufacturer will list the "C" value for the battery. If a value of 2C is listed, then charging a 2ah battery at a 4ah rate is safe. If this rating is not provided, it is best to charge at a rate equal to the battery's capacity or lower.

I have been flying RC helicopters for years, these use large Lipo batteries. I have always charged at no more than a 1C rate. I like to get as much life out of my batteries as I can, they are quite expensive.

Hope this helps.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I'm using Panasonic eneloop batteries. They're good quality. The writing on the batteries is microscopic but I couldn't find anything indicating the charge rate. In the interest of my pocketbook, I think I'll stick with the 50% to 75% (of the battery capacity) rate for charging.

You did help. Thanx.

KB4MSZ

Billy
Premium Subscriber
Those batteries are not Lipo based. They are a type of nickel metal hydride cell. The chemistry is quite different, but the same parameters still apply as to charge rates. Staying at or below 1C is always best practice.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
My bad. I knew that. I don't know what I was thinking. For punishment, I'll limit myself to only one piece of that chocolate cake on the kitchen counter.....maybe. :)

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I meant about Lipo vs. nickel metal hydride. You did help on the charge rates, though. Thanx.

I'm gonna plead first offender and eat the cake.

slicerwizard

Those batteries are not Lipo based. They are a type of nickel metal hydride cell. The chemistry is quite different, but the same parameters still apply as to charge rates. Staying at or below 1C is always best practice.
AA Eneloops are rated at 2+ Ah and the C9000 charge rate maxes out at 2A, so it's impossible for the OP to exceed 1C.

IMO, 2A is excessive and you'd have to be in a damn hurry to use it. 1A for AA, 500mA for AAA, would be more appropriate, especially as cells age and their internal resistance increases.

Status
Not open for further replies.