Status
Not open for further replies.

Djm803

I recently found an old scanner i previously ( several years ago) used to monitor the Charlotte trunked radio system. The scanner is a Radio Shack pro-164 scanner. All of the control channels appear to be the same yet I am not hearing any police/fire/ems traffic. I have noticed that it has switched to USAI and have tried to enter those control channels with no luck of hearing anything. Is this scanner capable of picking up anything in the Charlotte/Mecklnberg area? I have thought about trying to program the NC viper network but am starting to believe that the pro-164 scanner is outdated. Any help is much appreciated

trumpetman

Database Admin
The new Charlotte UASI region radio system is all APCO25 digital. You're going to need a new scanner that's capable of P25 trunking. Your PRO-164 will still be able to hear county fire dispatch on the VHF conventional channel (156.165) but as far as anything in the city goes or any county ops channels you'll need a new scanner.

jplyler

Premium Subscriber
Yes, definitely a new scanner. Also, the UASI system is a P25 simulcast system which the scanners have an issue with but a lot of it depends on your location and proximity to the transmitter(s). I have a Unication G5 and a BCD436HP, both great radios but they have their strengths and weaknesses. If you plan to monitor the UASI system with a traditional scanner be prepared to be frustrated and plan to miss a fair amount of transmissions. The G5 is not a scanner in the true sense but it is a great P25 monitor and works great on the UASI system.

I'm very anxious to see how the new Uniden SDS100 unit performs when released to the public. Hopefully it will properly receive the simulcast systems once and for all. I can't imagine them releasing a new trunking scanner that can't do this but I guess we'll see.

If you have the budget and are patient the SDS100 might be the ticket.

dancrosoft

Yes, definitely a new scanner. Also, the UASI system is a P25 simulcast system which the scanners have an issue with but a lot of it depends on your location and proximity to the transmitter(s). I have a Unication G5 and a BCD436HP, both great radios but they have their strengths and weaknesses. If you plan to monitor the UASI system with a traditional scanner be prepared to be frustrated and plan to miss a fair amount of transmissions. The G5 is not a scanner in the true sense but it is a great P25 monitor and works great on the UASI system.

I'm very anxious to see how the new Uniden SDS100 unit performs when released to the public. Hopefully it will properly receive the simulcast systems once and for all. I can't imagine them releasing a new trunking scanner that can't do this but I guess we'll see.

If you have the budget and are patient the SDS100 might be the ticket.

Older post but I will find out very soon. I sold my trx 1 and picked up an SDS100. Should have it mid week. Will still use my G5 either way but curious just like you. Will update late next week. Can post a video if anyone is interested.

RF-Burns

Older post but I will find out very soon. I sold my trx 1 and picked up an SDS100. Should have it mid week. Will still use my G5 either way but curious just like you. Will update late next week. Can post a video if anyone is interested.

I would be interested in some video, I will look for a YouTube link in the future.

Motoman55

dancrosoft

SDS100 in hand.

I am making series of videos that I will stitch into one.

(The other videos I have seen that show a short stent of rx do not show what is actually happening.)

My thoughts right off the bat? It works miles better than a TRX1 or older Uniden. Does it work better than my G5? I could answer that now but it would be premature. The video will give everyone a much better picture.

I am not the type to hold people in suspense to get views. If you want my overall opinion right now: (My use case is to monitor P25. Dont really care about anything else in this case. [can do other things with other scanners] That being said - to specifically monitor P25 CLT USAI and VIPER - If I were given a chance to borrow both of these devices - at this time I would choose the G5. That may change, we shall see.

Note: I am not sponsored by anyone. I bought both devices by my own choice with my own money.

dancrosoft

I am struggling with this device. I have made several videos and am in progress of stitching but I am afraid my results are not positive.

My expectations for the SDS100 is to pick up EVERY transmission that the G5 does.

I am currently monitoring USAI CMPD (a single division) 2 talk groups. The SDS100 is missing transmissions. It gets around 90% of them but it is still missing. I am attempting to accurately capture that in a video but it has been difficult. I am honestly thinking about returning it.

I am going to continue monitoring but at this time I cannot recommend this device for anyone who wants to do pure P25 Monitoring. I really hate to type that as I had really high hopes for it. I have debated on troubleshooting but I really dont want to. It should just work. In fact I straight up refuse to troubleshoot.

The G5 just works. I put in control channels, add the talk groups, and scan. I did that once and have never had to touch it since. I do not like the idea of a $600+ Scanner that I have to "play" with to get 100% of the transmissions.

I am going to run it for a few more days just to see what happens but what you see above is my opinion at this time.

That may change but so far its mostly negative for my use case. I want 100% RX and expect nothing less.

Am happy to answer any questions if any CLT (or otherwise) has them.

RF-Burns

Thank you for your honesty. I look forward to more reviews from you.

I am struggling with this device. I have made several videos and am in progress of stitching but I am afraid my results are not positive.

My expectations for the SDS100 is to pick up EVERY transmission that the G5 does.

I am currently monitoring USAI CMPD (a single division) 2 talk groups. The SDS100 is missing transmissions. It gets around 90% of them but it is still missing. I am attempting to accurately capture that in a video but it has been difficult. I am honestly thinking about returning it.

I am going to continue monitoring but at this time I cannot recommend this device for anyone who wants to do pure P25 Monitoring. I really hate to type that as I had really high hopes for it. I have debated on troubleshooting but I really dont want to. It should just work. In fact I straight up refuse to troubleshoot.

The G5 just works. I put in control channels, add the talk groups, and scan. I did that once and have never had to touch it since. I do not like the idea of a $600+ Scanner that I have to "play" with to get 100% of the transmissions.

I am going to run it for a few more days just to see what happens but what you see above is my opinion at this time.

That may change but so far its mostly negative for my use case. I want 100% RX and expect nothing less.

Am happy to answer any questions if any CLT (or otherwise) has them.

Soundman

Thanks for the info .My be Whistler my have a better scanner .If it really true .

dancrosoft

Thanks for the info .My be Whistler my have a better scanner .If it really true .

I dont think so :(. I could be wrong but I believe the SDS100 is the only "scanner" scanner that can monitor P25 "reliably". The Unication G5 tho it works very very well on P25 is not a true scanner. No way to hold on a talk group among other things.

Either way I dont think Whistler has an offering that can reliably monitor P25 Simulcast. I have a TRX1 and it is trash on P25... Which by the way is a tragedy as I love my TRX1.

Soundman

Has anyone talked to the people that make the G5 to make a way to hold on a talk group among other things. I would buy one of those in a heart beat. People would buy them like crazy . I like how small it is . Now only if you can hold on a talk group that would be great .

dancrosoft

Has anyone talked to the people that make the G5 to make a way to hold on a talk group among other things. I would buy one of those in a heart beat. People would buy them like crazy . I like how small it is . Now only if you can hold on a talk group that would be great .

Several folks have done so. I think I saw they may try to add it but no promises. Scanner is not its primary use case.

I will say that the way mine is setup - I dont really need to hold. I have several zones setup to simulate holding. That and I find it crazy to listen to all of the local police dept divisions at once when busy.

I have a zone with one nob pos with all divisions and the rest with only 1 division 3 TGs. It works quite well. If I am on all and I hear something going on in Central, I just nob over to Central only position.

The only thing that does get annoying (For CLT anyway), is FD/EMS. I guess I could setup a separated zone for that but just havent.

Any who - I had the same thought you did until I bought one and had to live with it cause no other device would work. I have gotten used to it and kinda like it. Even if I do get the SDS100 working 100%, I will still take my G5 with me everywhere I go.

I just noticed I typed the word nob alot. haha thats funny. Im tired. nob. goodnight nob

Soundman

I may think about buying the g5 . If I do could you send me your file that would help a lot .

dancrosoft

I may think about buying the g5 . If I do could you send me your file that would help a lot .

Yep I can do that. Can pm you some screen shots be4 hand if you like. Hard to explain what it's really like. Seeing the plug makes for a good explanation.

nwalshjr

Premium Subscriber
I have the Unication G5. It works flawlessly on the Charlotte UASI system. It’s disappointing that Uniden seems unable to build a scanner that can handle a Simulcast system.

Soundman

I live in Davidson. It on my base scanner. I hear everything nice an clean .On the meck tower . But from my bc436hp and my homepatrol 1 I get nothing my be 1 bar . I have try the moorsville tower .I get 5 bars on my bc436hp and my home patrol .I only get Cornelius PD. Now only if I could get the moorsville tower to work for me I would be happy .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.