• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Cheap 10 Watt mobile radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowthief

Hello.

Yes, it is the classic cheap Chinese radio.
If you make it free band, the thing will do 136 to 174 and 200 to 260 and 470 to 512, receive and transmit.
That covers 2, 220 and 440.
10 watts, almost a talkie.

prcguy

If it could actually do three bands don't you think they would advertise it as three bands and get more money?
prcguy

Hello.

Yes, it is the classic cheap Chinese radio.
If you make it free band, the thing will do 136 to 174 and 200 to 260 and 470 to 512, receive and transmit.
That covers 2, 220 and 440.
10 watts, almost a talkie.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
At $113 you could pay your money and take your chances. Longevity? Hah! If it breaks in six months, buy another... and that one will prob be even cheaper.

rapidcharger

Found a Kirisun dual-bander for even less than the eBay one listed in this thread. Tri-band, 25W. Amazon selling for $99
Amazon.com : Uhf/vhf Mobile Radio : Car Electronics

Specs: PT8200 - Products - Kirisun Communications Co.,Ltd

I don't think that is a dualbander. The specs indicate a range of frequencies but it doesn't say anything about transmitting on all of them all in one radio.

One of the people who answered the questions on amazzzon also said it's not a dualbander.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
I guess we should clarify what is meant by "dual-band". I have an Alinco DR-635 and that is dual-band in the design in that it has two separate receivers that can be operated simultaneously, and it operates in cross-band repeater mode if you wish. I'm guessing the Kirisun does indeed cover the full frequency range shown in the specs (136-520mHz with gaps) but only one channel at a time.

ChetsJug

Kewl Find!~

hmmmm, looks like I found my MURS mobile unit LOL. I'll just use a Motorola Spike on the trunk or in the back window on 4 watt mode, instead of a hi-gain roof center loaded antenna with 2 watts, No one will hear the difference ;)

Tanks!

Cowthief

If it could actually do three bands don't you think they would advertise it as three bands and get more money?
prcguy

Hello.

My guess is that it did not pass FCC testing for 3 bands?
It is a real crap 220 radio.

rapidcharger

I guess we should clarify what is meant by "dual-band". I have an Alinco DR-635 and that is dual-band in the design in that it has two separate receivers that can be operated simultaneously, and it operates in cross-band repeater mode if you wish. I'm guessing the Kirisun does indeed cover the full frequency range shown in the specs (136-520mHz with gaps) but only one channel at a time.

No, I'm not talking about have two separate radios in one. I don't think it will do vhf and uhf in the same radio, period. Even if it's operated individually.

When you order a radio, you pick a band split.
Of course I didn't see that option in the amazzzon listing. However I suspect the seller doesn't know what they have and there are no reviews.

If I'm wrong about that, someone please correct me because I would buy one at that $90 price.

KB0VWG

joeuser

The Wretched
Ahh crap, I really don't need to blow anymore money right now. I kind of went thru my windfall with 4 pro-197's, a GRE 600, a 396t (waste of $), a 996xt, a hp-1, a pro-2001, a pro-2006 (for the nostalgia), a bc250d w card, 2 pro-164's, a pro-21a(nostalgia), a pro-37 & 42 (nostalgia), 2 Discone, a bunch of various whips, & 2 speakers (those older rat shacks) etc... I might mention this is all the fault of these forums! ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.