• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Cheap and easy portable 2-meter Yagi

Status
Not open for further replies.
This Yagi is made from 1/2" copper and PVC pipe. It dismantles for transport and takes about a minute to assemble in the field.
It uses a beta match and gets a 1.5:1 VSWR at the band limits, with about 1.3:1 at 146 MHz.
The H/T belt clip is connected to the boom with a hose clamp.
I already had the copper pipe and connectors. The PVC pipe and fittings cost less than $10 with enough pipe left over to make more.
Originally, I planned to reinforce the boom with a 5/8" oak dowel, but it seems to be rigid enough without.
I took it for a hike today on a hilltop and got great results.

Attachments

N4GIX,
Awkward, yes, it is somewhat. I'm already thinking about mods. Two things come to mind:
1) Finding a longer TX line; and,
2) Adding a tee at the balance point on the boom to accommodate a short mast pipe, then attaching a metal spike at the bottom of the mast. That way, when I'm hill-topping, I can stick it in the ground and save my arm.
Thanks, all, and 73s.

Rev. 1

Here's the Yagi with a tee added to the boom and a 3-foot mast.
The drivers have been trimmed for better tuning and the match has been tweaked to get the VSWR down.
I'm still looking for some 50-Ohm cable to improve the TX line setup.

Attachments

Diagram and Data for Cheap and easy portable 2-meter Yagi

Hi kiloechozero

Very interesting this small antenna, but not much info other than pictures.

Do you have a detailed plan with mesurement to build this antenna? Specially the improved one (last picture with 3' mast)

also Specification for the Beta Match

Daniel VA2DG

KB5ZCS,
See K7MEM's calculator here ... Martin E. Meserve - K7MEM - VHF/UHF Yagi Antenna Quick Designer
I used the DL6WU spacing.
If you use a cross for the director fitting, then you can easily add an extension for the boom. At one point I added a second director, but noticed that the boom has to be reinforced as it becomes floppy. Also, the balance point for the mast has to be changed. A more rigid mast might also help if you are going beyond 3 elements.
Good luck and 73

I don't think there is anything cheap or portable about a copper pipe Yagi. There are lots of plans for one made from old tape measure or nearly free new ones from Harbor Freight. The Yagi will be about the same size as the OPs but the elements will fold down so the antenna is only the size of the boom and it will be a lot lighter weight.
prcguy

SCPD

This Yagi is made from 1/2" copper and PVC pipe. It dismantles for transport and takes about a minute to assemble in the field.
It uses a beta match and gets a 1.5:1 VSWR at the band limits, with about 1.3:1 at 146 MHz.
The H/T belt clip is connected to the boom with a hose clamp.
I already had the copper pipe and connectors. The PVC pipe and fittings cost less than $10 with enough pipe left over to make more.
Originally, I planned to reinforce the boom with a 5/8" oak dowel, but it seems to be rigid enough without.
I took it for a hike today on a hilltop and got great results.
maybe awkward to hike with but it probably works great

Thinking back to when I was in the Army and came across a portable yagi utilizing telescopic whips. This was for a tactical low band DF unit someone brought into the C&E shop. Would like to make several, one for 6 and the other 2 meters.

Just gotta sit down and do the design work. Would be sharp getting one on 440.

I know nothing about antenna's, what frequency would this work with? I use my radio for only railfanning. Would something like this work if setup at a location where you plan to just sit for hours?

Status
Not open for further replies.