• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Cheap Bunker Gear

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfab

Premium Subscriber
I am looking into getting my own set of bunker gear and I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of some cheap stuff. Doesn't have to be fancy, and I'd take used gear. I just dont want to pay $1,000+.

Thanks!

WouffHong

Worth the savings??

I am looking into getting my own set of bunker gear and I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of some cheap stuff. Doesn't have to be fancy, and I'd take used gear. I just dont want to pay $1,000+.

Thanks!
Consider if "Cheap" is worth the diminished safety factor/protection. Used gear might be OK if intact and not threadbare... I have worked nasty fires in Boston and FL and good gear was a blessing.

Later we lived on a cruising sailboat and it had an older 4-person liferaft that came with it. It passed the CG inspection, but when we had a drill in the Bahamas, it inflated about 60% and with 2 people in it - filled and sank as seams let go.

Lessons learned... :roll:

Opt for safety over savings, my friend.

Just IMHO.

Tom

jfab

Premium Subscriber
Sorry I should have clarified....I am on a technical rescue agency. We don't do any structural fire fighting. I am looking for cheap gear because winter is approaching and the gear we are issued is basically extrication gear (no liner). I'd like some cheap structural gear to keep warm in the winter. Basically something with a liner that will protect during vehicle extrications and rope rescues.

reedeb

Sorry I should have clarified....I am on a technical rescue agency. We don't do any structural fire fighting. I am looking for cheap gear because winter is approaching and the gear we are issued is basically extrication gear (no liner). I'd like some cheap structural gear to keep warm in the winter. Basically something with a liner that will protect during vehicle extrications and rope rescues.
Basically you're looking for a bunker coat [you don't need the pants they are too confining] I would try Galls and you WILL have to pay the money to getone MOST departments will not sell a used turnout gear. IF they get too close to a fire they change color [due to the heat] and are deemed unsafe and are usually destroyed.

Fire-Dex® Para-Dex Stedair EMS Jacket - FE846 I think THIS may be what you need.

Z

zalarcon

You can start by looking in your local classified ad papers

AC0RV

Premium Subscriber
Personnally I may not know where to get cheap bunker gear since I
prefer Lowest (not Cheap) priced gear.

ff-medic

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The Appalachians - Next to the tent and campfire.

Consideration : Ricochet Manufacturing: Emergency Protective Gear for First Responders ( flame resistant choice on left column )

Bunker coats are hard to manupulate in, and are stiff ; unless well worn. Well worn means they most generally have lost their safety factor.

There is numerous SAR coats, EMS coats that are flame resistant. They make EMS boots, or you can get them at an Law Enforement outlet, website ; that have safety toes and hardened soles to prevent nails and ect ; from going into the feet.

Equipment does to have to be pricy at all. It has to be dependable, durable and you have to have confidence in your gear and or equipment.

I seen a MAGLIGHT handheld ( AAA batterys - about 4 inches long ) flashlight last night. Just as bright as my Surefire. BUT, it was not as well made in my belief as the regular MagLights. The outer shell was thinner, and in my opinion ; more apt to "Shock" and drop damage. Plus my SureFire has one heck of a warranty. A co-worker said he got it at Wal-Mart for $15.00.

Nice light, but I will keep my SureFire.

Durable, dependable adn you have to have confidence in it.

Some Public Safety Professionals might not like EMS coats that are flame resistant, and prefer bunker coats. Other might like EMS coats and absolutely hate bunker coats. Bunker coats are protective, but again ; in my experience hinder "SOME" movement and are stiff , difficult to work in. I would choose one in a structure fire. But as you descibe , auto accidents, general emergencys, SAR ; I would much rather have the EMS coat to - Protect me from minor chemical exposure, keep me warm , meet the new reflective requirements for Public Safety personel working highway accidents, to allow me more and greater freedom of movement.

FF - Medic !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.