Chester County P25 System

Status
Not open for further replies.

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
I have had zero luck getting my PSR800 to produce any audio from the system...guess a 996P2 in in my near future.

When I first programmed the PSR-800, it used to track the system but never produce audio. I ended up wiping the memory card inadvertently. When I reloaded the system, the PSR-800 tracked the system fine. At home, I am on the fringe, so reception is not very good. When I take it on the road, it tracks the system pretty well. I still don't know what the issue was before.

pastormg2

Harris Tech's and Chester County System

I have to laugh for the past two day Harris Tech's are evidently testing radio's or the system. I am glad to hear that these guys no how to count! He has started at the Number 1 and is not at 250. You would think there is a better way!!!!

jerry092975

BCD996P2 Scanner

Ok this is what I did for Chester county's new P25 radio system

P25 Adjust - This mode sets the algorithm for P25 decoding. If your firmware version is lower than 1.10.00, leave this setting at 3. Anything higher than 3 will just act like 3. Anything lower will have the reduced performance of previous firmware versions on the 396T. (If your firmware version is 1.10.00 or 1.11.01 YES) you can follow the instructions which suggest using set mode at 11 (though the chester county system is reported to decode better at a setting of 6 - 8 and 12) I set this scanner (manually) to mode decode 8 for better decoding quality

Just hold down the hold/manual button while turning the scanner on then scroll to scanner settings then scroll and find P25 adjustment settings.

K3UG

Premium Subscriber
BCD996P2

Jerry,

My firmware is 1.06.00 , and the Uniden Website shows that as the latest.

Is there newer firmware? Where do I get it?

I set my threshold to 8, via the manual setting and it seems to be hearing better.

Thanks for the tip.

I hope to have help with two issues. 1. Chester County has moved to p25 II. I have the uniden 396 xt. I can hear philly very well as they are on that system. Will I be able to now hear chester county. 2. i have been out for some time due to an injury, but recently pulled out the scanner and am unable to download freescan at all. It was me to open some sort of Zip thing which I have never had to do. Help please.

phillydjdan

To answer question #1 you cannot listen to P25 Phase II with a 396XT, period. You'll have to get a newer scanner.

ok. I think philly is all on phase II, but when I was last in the city not too long ago the 396xt was picking up all kind of stuff on both fire and police sides. So, why would It not work here in chester county. also, if I do need another scanner to keep up to date with the movement to digital and phases, what would be the recommended scanner to purchase? I am not the wealthiest where can I purchase a new scanner. I almost literally recently purchased this and am finally comfortable with programming it. Help please.

Septa3371CSX1

ok. I think philly is all on phase II, but when I was last in the city not too long ago the 396xt was picking up all kind of stuff on both fire and police sides. So, why would It not work here in chester county. also, if I do need another scanner to keep up to date with the movement to digital and phases, what would be the recommended scanner to purchase? I am not the wealthiest where can I purchase a new scanner. I almost literally recently purchased this and am finally comfortable with programming it. Help please.

Philly is still Phase 1 although the system controller supports Phase 2. With most non-fire department radios not upgraded to APX units Philly remains Phase 1 for the time being.

In terms of Phase 2 scanners, since you already have the 396XT look into the 325XT - essentially the same radio but it supports P25 Phase 2.

phillydjdan

Joe is spot on. Philly is Phase I, not Phase II. Chester, Bucks, Camden and Gloucester are all full time Phase II. If you want to continue monitoring the Philly region you should consider a new scanner. The 325 is a decent portable. Easy to use, not too expensive. There is also the 436HP and a Whistler model as well, but IMHO the 325 is the better way to go.

jerry092975

FD1-FD2 Digital P25 TG ID #'s

852.80000 WPUE428 293 NAC CC Fire D1 Digital P25 Fire-Talk
852.96250 WQBN802 293 NAC CC Fire D2 Digital P25 Fire-Talk

Is there a TG ID for FD1 and FD2 Digital, on the RR database there is only a frequency listed for this and i didn't hear anything on the P25 TG ID's and i even put the scanner in ID Search mode on the system. also i tried inputting the frequencies in manual and i got nothing

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber

Is there a TG ID for FD1 and FD2 Digital, on the RR database there is only a frequency listed for this and i didn't hear anything on the P25 TG ID's and i even put the scanner in ID Search mode on the system. also i tried inputting the frequencies in manual and i got nothing

FWIW,
I've had all those frequencies in my scanlist/fl for some time now and have yet to actually observe them to be in use. They do not seem to have a correlated TG ID on the P25 II system. The only conventional channels I've seen in use are the 3 VHF ch's that are for voice paging, In addition the channels listed under Interoperability have been used as a backup for the P25 II but so far only used during tests to ensure they worked.

I hope that is helpful.

Last edited:

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin

These simplex channels are in every fire/ems radio in the county. They are Phase 1 P25.

There is no policy telling a particular fire chief what they have to use on an incident scene. Some chiefs want all the traffic on an ops talkgroup, some like simplex for fireground. For the simplex, you have two choices now...analog or digital simplex channels. Some companies opted to stick to the old analog FD1 and FD2 channels for fireground ops and some opted to use the new digital simplex channels. Sticking with the old channels allowed fire companies to continue using older radios that they had (analog only conventional 800 radios) alongside the new radios. Some companies may not have previously had non-trunking 800 radios and so they just started using the new digital simplex channels. I'm sure there are other reasons why a company switched or not. After all, everybody has their own opinion on the matter. One conversation that emerged after the switch was whether or not to keep the names the way they are or to changed Fire D1 and Fire D2 to FD3 and FD4 since when you say the names over the radio there can be misunderstandings. The simplex channels will not go far (maybe a mile or two in ideal terrain) so you are not going to hear anything unless you are near the scene. And, no, there is no corresponding talkgroup for any of the on scene simplex channels. That would defeat the purpose of moving to a simplex channel.

jerry092975

These simplex channels are in every fire/ems radio in the county. They are Phase 1 P25.

There is no policy telling a particular fire chief what they have to use on an incident scene. Some chiefs want all the traffic on an ops talkgroup, some like simplex for fireground. For the simplex, you have two choices now...analog or digital simplex channels. Some companies opted to stick to the old analog FD1 and FD2 channels for fireground ops and some opted to use the new digital simplex channels. Sticking with the old channels allowed fire companies to continue using older radios that they had (analog only conventional 800 radios) alongside the new radios. Some companies may not have previously had non-trunking 800 radios and so they just started using the new digital simplex channels. I'm sure there are other reasons why a company switched or not. After all, everybody has their own opinion on the matter. One conversation that emerged after the switch was whether or not to keep the names the way they are or to changed Fire D1 and Fire D2 to FD3 and FD4 since when you say the names over the radio there can be misunderstandings. The simplex channels will not go far (maybe a mile or two in ideal terrain) so you are not going to hear anything unless you are near the scene. And, no, there is no corresponding talkgroup for any of the on scene simplex channels. That would defeat the purpose of moving to a simplex channel.

Copy that...THX

reagoso

HomePatrol-2 in Cochranville

hi all - have a home patrol 2, updated firmware to latest, updated internal database to latest with sentinel software. not hearing anything on the new harris.

just looking for some advice ... is there something other than the database sentinel loads i should be using?

i'm fire police out here, and have no radio - so it sure would be handy if i can get this little guy working.

also ... what scanners are y'all using that work well with the new harris?

any advice would be hugely appreciated.

i can put it stationary and stream it over the internet if these scanners don't do mobile well (read about LSM)... pretty much would like to hear the things i can't hear through my high band and since we don't have county radios would be nice to hear what going on at fire ground rather than "deaf" at my intersection! :)

thanks all

chris

Jay2052

I Recently purchased a BCD996p2, programmed it for the Ches. co system using Arc XT. I am pretty sure I did everything right but it doesn't pick up squat out here in Exton. Might just be a lost cause but wondering if anyone has any suggestions?

jerry092975

BCD996P2 Grounding Problem

I have a Sinclair Collinear Omni 746-869MHz with DC Ground and a 700/800Mhz Yagi antenna on the same mast going to the same scanner(BCD996P2) and the ground is going straight to a 8ft ground rod in the ground by it's self and not around any electrical equipment (nothing else is sharing the grounding location) and when I put the ground wire on the mast I lose the P25 Phase II signal strength bars and the threshold numbers will jump around from 6, 7, 8 and 12, 13(I know the scanner won't receive any transmissions on 11, 12, 13 the harris tech's said that's normal for most scanners) and the control channels and the signal will bounce back and forth making the scanner miss transmissions or miss everything. What can I do about this problem.

jerry092975

I Recently purchased a BCD996p2, programmed it for the Ches. co system using Arc XT. I am pretty sure I did everything right but it doesn't pick up squat out here in Exton. Might just be a lost cause but wondering if anyone has any suggestions?

Try using JUST the East/Central 800MHz Control Site leaving out the 700MHz West Site

Status
Not open for further replies.