Chevy Silverado 2008 Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC4YIN

Premium Subscriber
First class install. I did not see an arm rest in there. Do you miss it or is it out of the picture?

sfd119

First class install. I did not see an arm rest in there. Do you miss it or is it out of the picture?

There is no arm rest. At first I really hated it, but I have actually grown used to it.

That looks very cool,whats the R for?radios?

I'm confused. If you are talking about the switches that have "R" on them, they are just the brand of the switch.

sfd119

I did finally get that console plate in, and added a GPS. I'll post some pics later of it.

joehawth

KB1RRG
SFD119 nice install! two thumbs up!
what guage wire did you use to run power to your console?

I also have a Chevrolet Silverado. but mine is many years older. As an aside, does anybody happen to know if it is still possible to buy vehicles without a center console? For most people the consoles are probably fine, but for amateur radio operators and scanner fans they can be a nuisance. Also, for those that have done sedans with consoles, are they easy to remove from sedans? .

What year silverado? I had a 1995 K1500 silverado that i took out the stock center console and built my own for my radios, it was very easy (time consuming on the custom build)... but removal of the old was easy. I can talk you through if you wish...

sfd119

I believe I ran 10 or 12 gauge wire from the battery to the power distribution system.

Here's what it looks now (taken from cell phone). I have a GPS unit mounted now and put in the actual last plate that was missing:

gFFsxM7.jpg

bear780ks

COOOL.! I like how you have your Radios arranged there sfd) On the Radio Face plates the 996xt has a neat face plate but I think the 996T out shines it With it's slightly Neater face plate arrangement the Silver and Gray just goes Great together .. :) Ra

Last edited:

fdscan

I believe I ran 10 or 12 gauge wire from the battery to the power distribution system.

Here's what it looks now (taken from cell phone). I have a GPS unit mounted now and put in the actual last plate that was missing:

gFFsxM7.jpg

Looks awesome.

I've always wondered about mounting GPS units in consoles, this looks like a simple yet good idea. Did you plug the charger right into the cigarette lighter plug or hard-wire it to the distribution system?

sfd119

Looks awesome.

I've always wondered about mounting GPS units in consoles, this looks like a simple yet good idea. Did you plug the charger right into the cigarette lighter plug or hard-wire it to the distribution system?

The back of the RAM console has a few holes and parts sticking out, so I used the default "Window Mount" suction cup and stuck it on top of the console, then secured it down by a zip tie on the back of the bracket and down through the console. It doesn't sound like it holds and I hate using zip ties, but it's all I had in a pinch and has been holding with zero movement since December.

I wasn't sure how the voltages were with the cigarette lighter because it uses a USB plug. Some power cables take the 12v down to the ~5v within themselves and others let the device do it. I didn't want to chance it so I added cig lighter plug to come off one of my switches/distro system. The GPS does come on with the master now and shuts off with it too--or I can do it individually.

The GPS receives a pretty good signal, but I will admit on some days it is off a little bit.

The only item that is not on the power distribution system is my cell phone charger. That's coming off the truck's cig lighter plug (by the moto potato mic)

Last edited:

bear780ks

Sfd119 what's the cost for one of those Center Consoles ? The reason that I like yours is that it Goes all the Way to front and then goes up Slightly To get a good view of the Radios this is the Console I would get when the time comes to getting one..

russellmaher

KC1ANC
Very nice install on that console! It's great when you have the room to accommodate this setup.

Thanks for sharing with us.

Russell

fdscan

The back of the RAM console has a few holes and parts sticking out, so I used the default "Window Mount" suction cup and stuck it on top of the console, then secured it down by a zip tie on the back of the bracket and down through the console. It doesn't sound like it holds and I hate using zip ties, but it's all I had in a pinch and has been holding with zero movement since December.

I wasn't sure how the voltages were with the cigarette lighter because it uses a USB plug. Some power cables take the 12v down to the ~5v within themselves and others let the device do it. I didn't want to chance it so I added cig lighter plug to come off one of my switches/distro system. The GPS does come on with the master now and shuts off with it too--or I can do it individually.

The GPS receives a pretty good signal, but I will admit on some days it is off a little bit.

The only item that is not on the power distribution system is my cell phone charger. That's coming off the truck's cig lighter plug (by the moto potato mic)

Ahh I gothca. Good idea. In my case... I tend to not want to hard-wire anything USB related, such as the cigarette plug charger for that Garmin, I think it's a USB type thing on the end. You never know what they're putting out, everything's different...

sfd119

Sfd119 what's the cost for one of those Center Consoles ? The reason that I like yours is that it Goes all the Way to front and then goes up Slightly To get a good view of the Radios this is the Console I would get when the time comes to getting one..

I think the console was $600, but I don't recall. It's all RAM Mount stuff: Console Mounts

Status
Not open for further replies.