Choose a new handheld for around Charleston

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD8USW

I’m considering a new handheld scanner and wanted to see if anyone had any input on which, if either, would perform better around the Charleston area. The two I am considering are the Whistler WS1088 and the Uniden BCD436HP. I’ve read good and bad about both but a lot of it seems to be personal preference and locations specific. The Whistler seems to be considered a little more sensitive which can be a problem in heavier RF areas. I don’t think Charleston, even downtown, would be considered RF dense. Anyone have any personal experience or opinions related to choosing between the two and maybe how each perform receiving SIRN? Would primarily be used in an office downtown and in my vehicle around the Kanawha valley. Thanks!

Monty

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
cannot speak for your area, but I have a TRX-1 (similar to the WS 1080) and a BCD436HP and both sound great on the SIRN. Look at for what features are different on the two scanners. I like both models but there are some on each that I like more. If I had to suggest one of the two, I would go with the Whistler.

I would also suggest looking at the TRX-1 due to it's ability to decode DMR which is getting more popular. It will also do NXDN which according to the RRDB, the Kanawha Co. school buses use if that's something you are interested in listening to.

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=3016

gambill1

HI KD8USW,

I live here in western part of Kanawha County and most of the time I have my pro 668 on.. With it, I can pick up Lincoln, Boone, Putnam and down to Cabell county with the stock antenna. You can look at the whistler version or the newer trx.

KD8USW

Pretty sure I've decided on the Whistler...between the WS1088 and the TRX-1.

WS1088. $357.98 + tax = $383.04

TRX-1 = $469.95

$86.91 = about 23% more and it looks like the additional systems you get with the TRX-1 don't equal anything around here I am interested in. Other than the included case, is there some additional value I'm overlooking in the TRX-1 that make it a better choice? Or just paying for more than I need?

Thanks!

KD8USW

I've notice that Putnam Law Enforcement is on NXDN Encrypted....are they always encrypted?

I'm still torn between the WS1088 and the TRX-1.

fredva

Feed Provider
Putnam County

All I can tell you is that Putnam County law has talkgroups on the WV SIRN. One of them is labeled as Sheriff's dispatch. To the extent those or the NXDN channel are used, I can't say. Hopefully somebody who monitors Putnam County will chime in.

KD8USW

All I can tell you is that Putnam County law has talkgroups on the WV SIRN. One of them is labeled as Sheriff's dispatch. To the extent those or the NXDN channel are used, I can't say. Hopefully somebody who monitors Putnam County will chime in.

Looks like it might be the local city police who are using the NXDN encrypted. Went ahead and pulled the trigger on the TRX-1, hopefully will be here soon.

steelcty

Putnam County

I believe the NXDN freo, is a link to the SIRN. When monitoring the NXDN with one scanner and SIRN with the other I get traffic on both at the same time.

Steve
KB8RCE

Bubba1661

WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I was down there the other day, at Tractor Supply, I heard Putnam Law back on #6607 in the clear. So I don't know if they are using both or what.

Status
Not open for further replies.