Choppy Conversation

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerrycoley

I live in Ouachita Parish in Monroe La. My BCD996XT conversations are choppy .I have a new BCD536XT Scanner with perfect conversations. Someone told me it could be Simulcast problems . Another person told me it could be settings . Is there someone in my area that can diagnose this problem . Anyone that works on these scanners in this area ??? I am new to all this scanner world

Technoguy58

There are no LSM sites in Ouachita parish. What sites are you listening to?? I have never had a problem with any of the sites in Ouachita parish. I'm surprised you have a problem with a BCD996XT. Those are excellent scanners.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
How far are you from the source? What are you using for an antenna? Where is the antenna located?

I live in Ouachita Parish in Monroe La. My BCD996XT conversations are choppy . Another person told me it could be settings . Is there someone in my area that can diagnose this problem . I am new to all this scanner world

A very common problem if one of the priority , Close Call or Weather settings are enabled.

Look closely at the display while the choppiness is happening for a clue...

jerrycoley

There are no LSM sites in Ouachita parish. What sites are you listening to?? I have never had a problem with any of the sites in Ouachita parish. I'm surprised you have a problem with a BCD996XT. Those are excellent scanners.
t

jerrycoley

Where are you located in Louisiana ? Im trying to listen to Monroe ,Bastrop ,Farmerville Ouachita parish Sheriff etc. I am new to all this scanner world.Maybe you could tell me what LSM means. Uniden tells me Ouachita broadcast in multiple frequencies in one conversation & my 996xt will only pick up 1 freqency per conversation. Therefore conversation goes like this 3 words & then total silence picks back up in middle of conversation ,3 or 4 or 5 words then silence.Maybe you can help me with this issue . I have a 536 HP beside 996 with perfect conversation .

jerrycoley

A very common problem if one of the priority , Close Call or Weather settings are enabled.

All those settings are turned off

Technoguy58

Uniden says these sites in ouachita parish are simulcast & 996XT cant handle simulcast . I dont know

Uniden personally told you that?? I'm in N.E. La. quite often and I can absolutely tell that there are no LSM sites in Ouachita parish. What site are you listening to?? The Monroe site works very well at least as far east as Rayville (a little further actually). Unless you are way way out in the boonies you should not have any problems with a 996XT. What is your location??

lamopac

Premium Subscriber
As a frequent visitor to the Monroe/Ouachita Parish area due to my work. I can agree with Technoguy58 that there are no LSM sites in or around the parish.Almost all public safety agencies are on LWIN and Ouachita Parish is pretty well covered by LWIN sites. Also at this point in time, nothing is encrypted. I suspect you may have antenna problems. I had a similar problem with the rubber duck antenna that came with my 436. I changed the antenna with one from Radio Shack and the problem went away. I really don't know if that's the problem you're having, but I'm just throwing that out there.

jerrycoley

Uniden personally told you that?? I'm in N.E. La. quite often and I can absolutely tell that there are no LSM sites in Ouachita parish. What site are you listening to?? The Monroe site works very well at least as far east as Rayville (a little further actually). Unless you are way way out in the boonies you should not have any problems with a 996XT. What is your location??
10 miles north of Monroe La. in Sterlington La.

jerrycoley

As a frequent visitor to the Monroe/Ouachita Parish area due to my work. I can agree with Technoguy58 that there are no LSM sites in or around the parish.Almost all public safety agencies are on LWIN and Ouachita Parish is pretty well covered by LWIN sites. Also at this point in time, nothing is encrypted. I suspect you may have antenna problems. I had a similar problem with the rubber duck antenna that came with my 436. I changed the antenna with one from Radio Shack and the problem went away. I really don't know if that's the problem you're having, but I'm just throwing that out there.
Thanks for the info. Would an indoor antenna work or do I need an outdoor ? I have a 536HP in the same room with the 996 with stock telescoping antenna & it works perfecvt

slayer816

Premium Subscriber
Late to the party.

Hello there, I'm north of Bastrop in Morehouse Parish. There are indeed no LSM sites around. Monroe Site & West Monroe Site are on two different frequency sets. From my experience with the LWIN in this area, Bastrop site tends to have better coverage in Sterlington. However most city services tend to only transmit on their "home" site. Parish services tend to transmit to surrounding parish sites.

Example:
Morehouse Parish SO - I've heard on Bastrop, Monroe, West Monroe, Marion, Oak Grove, Delhi
Bastrop PD - I've heard only on Bastrop
Ouachita Parish SO - I've heard on Bastrop, Monroe, West Monroe, Calhoun, Farmerville, Oak Grove, Delhi
West Monroe PD, Monroe FD, WM FD, ULM PD - I've heard only on Monroe, West Monroe, Calhoun

Every once in awhile, Monroe PD will come in at random on the Bastrop site. But not always. It is ALWAYS on the sites in Ouachita Parish. I assume all this is priority based as when I do hear a neighboring parish TGID, it's always law enforcement. I've shuffled around scanners and so far my current task is finding new TGIDs and DMR systems in the area so I'm a little out of date. If you can pick up Monroe site, you should be able to site hold, keep it from switching to Bastrop and thus hear the local Monroe area stuff / Morehouse & Union Parish SO's. If you want to listen to Bastrop local ID's then swap over and you'll still be able to pickup OPSO/UPSO in the process. Sterlington PD is on both sites. LSP & LDWF can be monitored on either site (or any in our region).

As for the antenna; the newer the scanner I get, the crappier the stock antenna is. My stock antennas for HP2 and 436 did okay but not the best. My stock antenna for the SDS100 was horrible. Any Diamond or Remtronix aftermarket 800mhz antenna will do wonders for systems around here. I also love my SpectrumForce in the window. I've never used a 996XT so I cannot speak for it's stock antenna. But I'm willing to bet that any aftermarket antenna would be an improvement.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
20 miles is far enough away to have some decoding issues. The 536 is better at decoding than the 996XT in my experience. The stock antenna on the back can be adjusted to the exact frequency you need and you likely won't beat it with another antenna on the back of the scanner. An outdoor antenna is the answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.