CHP Callsign letter designations

Status
Not open for further replies.

N6JPA

A Ham Radio Operator With too much frequency.
I listen to the CHP White Channel which covers the California Central Coast on 42.560 and 460.5500 MHz. Some of the units have letters with their call signs such as 14-3A, 14-3B,14-3C and 14-3S. Does anyone know what the letters in their call signs mean? TIA

Oakland_Tower

Premium Subscriber
I believe that designates the shift. A- day shift B- swing shift C- mid I don't know about the S. T used to mean shift 3, but most areas use it today as meaning training (rookie and instructor unit). So, you should hear the A units in the morning and the B units would come on around 2:00 in most cases.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
S is a sergeant and L is a lieutenant. The first number (which you didn't ask about) is the office and the second number is the beat. They don't always use the shift designator unless there might be confusion such as during a shift changes. You should hear "3" units which are Buellton, "14" which are Santa Maria, "28" which are San Luis Obispo and "9" units which are Templeton. They might also refer to a unit a 3-4 Afternoons.

By the way, I use a replacement 48" whip on my Diamond discone which makes it resonant at 42Mhz.

Status
Not open for further replies.