CHP "Eagle" units

Status
Not open for further replies.

kma371

QRT
what about a david unit? It sounded like something like a aircraft to ground related unit

David i think is special duty units which include commercial enforcement, maybe in your case it was speed enforcement

tk353

in the Riverside area Victor units are commercial enforcement units
Edward units are overtime units
Robert units are rover cars
David units are press/media spokesman units

SCPD

QRT
In the eastern Sierra "D" is the "detail officer." Their duties included working with the media, giving school presentations, and inspecting school buses.Their might be some others duties, but I've forgotten since retiring from the USFS where I interacted frequently with the CHP. The Bishop Area Office and the Bridgeport Area Office each have a D unit, i.e. 71D1 and 72D1. I've never heard dispatch or the officers pronounce "David," they always use "D."

There used to be, and may still be, a "mechanic" at each area office that changed oil, rotated tires, mounted and balanced tires and the like. They had the unit identifier of "71D2."

When I'm visiting southern California I hear all sorts of letters in the unit ID's and quite often don't understand what I'm hearing. Up here, Robert units are not rovers, but reserves. Not reserves like sheriff's department have but regular officers brought in from out of the area to handle special workloads such as special events, such as Bishop's famous "Mule Days."

Most of the information I've presented here is not only as a result of working with the CHP but also from my neighbor of 7 years, who retired as an officer during the time I lived next door to him.

bigcatmotorhead

Premium Subscriber
In Santa Ana (Orange County)...CHP uses the "Z" zebra as a two man unit that is assigned to the police dept on state grant for gang enforcement.. most of the time they talk on the local police talk group.. but will sometimes talk on CHP purple to get want and warrant information. but they are still working a directed gang enforcement in the city.

bigcatmotorhead

Premium Subscriber
in the Santa Ana office of CHP a "Robert" unit is typically a one man car working graveyard that normally will be work at the Orange County Jail after midnight booking DUI arrests for field units. Per Policy. all units CHP units working after 10 PM will be a two-man car so the odd man out is assigned to do booking duty or drive the sergeant around !!!

rooivalk

Same story in Frisco; where the local police are not allowed to use those scary black AR-15 rifles. They get around the anti-gun police commission's BS, by bringing in the CHP units, who can carry whatever they want or need to fight a war with gangsters...

Almost all Bay Area Depts have a patrol rifle program, including Oakland and S.F.

Status
Not open for further replies.