CHP Sacramento & Placer Co Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

brumey

CFO (Chief Fix-It Officer)
I am programming my scanner after loosing some CHP traffic in the last year. I am using RR's database. My primary focus is Placer County and Sacramento. I am specifically interested in CHP Air (fixed wing and Heli) as they operate in my area doing speed control regularly.

1) What frequency does the fixed wing use for talking back to mobile units when on a speed control unit. I see 122.87500 listed, is this what is used to communicate back to the mobiles or do the air units have a 40mhz radio and transmit on GRN3-VAL B?

2) Is it worth monitoring the P25 extenders?

3) Is it worth monitoring the LIME tactical?

I should add that I tried to search the forum for "CHP Air" and just "CHP" and it failed to find anything. Does the search feature work on the forums? When I search, I get a message nothing found and dropped into an advance search screen.

Thanks,

Kevin

Last edited:

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Chp

I am programming my scanner after loosing some CHP traffic in the last year.
At first they changed from Gold,Green & Blue to Gold2, Green2 & Blue2; which meant new frequencies and CTs. Then they made another change to Gold3 and Green3.

I am specifically interested in CHP Air (fixed wing and Heli) as they operate in my area doing speed control regularly.
I hear virtually all of the speed enforcement details on Blue2 for the I80 corridor between Douglas Blvd and the split.

1) What frequency does the fixed wing use for talking back to mobile units when on a speed control unit. I see 122.87500 listed, is this what is used to communicate back to the mobiles or do the air units have a 40mhz radio and transmit on GRN3-VAL B?
Most of the time they use Blue2, however I do sometimes pick up traffic on "car to car", which is low power on the base frequency (could be Green3 or Gold3).

2) Is it worth monitoring the P25 extenders?
I never hear aircraft on extender frequencies.

3) Is it worth monitoring the LIME tactical?
I monitor it so I don't miss anything, but I never hear traffic on Lime in your area.

As always, using a proper antenna is essential for good CHP reception.

Duster

Supposedly Retired...
Database Admin
gmclam's pretty dead-on as far as I can tell. I drive 80 between Roseville and Colfax 3-4 days a week, so I monitor them all the time. For our area (Auburn), the aircraft usually uses either Blue-2 or Green-3 for working speed above Auburn to Colfax. If you hear them on anything else, let us know here.

Status
Not open for further replies.