Cicero PD Encryption

Status
Not open for further replies.

greggill

On Hamilton County System 3 it appears Cicero PD Car to Car (TG 29140) is encrypted. All traffic has been digital and garbled sounding. Can anyone else confirm this?

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Garbled is not enc. Buzzzz Buzzzz buzz Buzzzz. That's enc. Bet your getting multipath simulcast distortion.

greggill

It doesn’t buzz, but I recorded for you what it is doing. All the other talk groups that I monitor in this system come in great except this one.
HTML:
[URL]https://youtu.be/ALeDF30krzg[/URL]

GTO_04

Sorry. Try this:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That does sound like encryption. Are you listening from Hamilton County or from Indy? Could it be you are in a fringe reception area? I haven't caught any Cicero car-to-car traffic recently, just not monitoring at the right time in my case. That's a G5 so probably not simulcast distortion but if you are monitoring in a fringe area it may sound like that. I don't see a lot of signal bars on the display. Cicero car-to-car is not listed in the database as encrypted, but many other car-to-car TGs in the county are encrypted as N9IIT pointed out. I'll have to pay more attention to that TG on my G5. My Unidens won't pass encrypted audio so that could be why I missed them.

GTO_04

greggill

That does sound like encryption. Are you listening from Hamilton County or from Indy? Could it be you are in a fringe reception area? I haven't caught any Cicero car-to-car traffic recently, just not monitoring at the right time in my case. That's a G5 so probably not simulcast distortion but if you are monitoring in a fringe area it may sound like that. I don't see a lot of signal bars on the display. Cicero car-to-car is not listed in the database as encrypted, but many other car-to-car TGs in the county are encrypted as N9IIT pointed out. I'll have to pay more attention to that TG on my G5. My Unidens won't pass encrypted audio so that could be why I missed them.

GTO_04

I’m listening from Cicero. I recorded the TG for demonstration purposes. The reason it looks like there’s no reception is because I switched to an out of range site while I shot the video. Didn’t want to be interrupted by an incoming transmission. I’m pretty sure the TG is encrypted. I wasn’t sure if it was always encrypted or one of those encryption-optional channels.

GTO_04

I’m listening from Cicero. I recorded the TG for demonstration purposes. The reason it looks like there’s no reception is because I switched to an out of range site while I shot the video. Didn’t want to be interrupted by an incoming transmission. I’m pretty sure the TG is encrypted. I wasn’t sure if it was always encrypted or one of those encryption-optional channels.

Well in that case it does appear to be encrypted then. Good question about whether it is encrypted optional. Keep monitoring it but that ENC noise will get annoying after awhile. I was under the impression that in System 3, either a TG is encrypted or not, but as you point out that may not be the case. I checked the PPS programming for my G5 and I do not have this talkgroup in my list. Good catch on your part, in the past that TG has not been very active.

GTO_04

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Apparently they had it user select enc for the longest and i never saw it E. Now however it is always E. Will try to get that fixed ASAP. .. Arcadia PD car to car is still clear as far as I know as is Sheridan. SO car to car 1 was still clear last I checked. As is FPD car to car. Though it is looking like they are going to lock down all but dispatches and mutual aids to full time E. Possibly the original user select option was a mistake in flashing? And I thought OP was talking a scanner. On the Unication pagers yeah you would get garbage sound on E TG. Scanners only buzz/growl for encryption.

GTO_04

Apparently they had it user select enc for the longest and i never saw it E. Now however it is always E. Will try to get that fixed ASAP. .. Arcadia PD car to car is still clear as far as I know as is Sheridan. SO car to car 1 was still clear last I checked. As is FPD car to car. Though it is looking like they are going to lock down all but dispatches and mutual aids to full time E. Possibly the original user select option was a mistake in flashing? And I thought OP was talking a scanner. On the Unication pagers yeah you would get garbage sound on E TG. Scanners only buzz/growl for encryption.

The GRE scanners will sound like that video if you put an encrypted TG in the scan list. My Unidens (396XT and SDS-100) will mute encrypted audio though the TG will show on the display if I happen to be looking at it. The FD car-to-car (same as OPS?) is listed in the database as encrypted. So that is interesting to see that it is in the clear.

GTO_04

N9IIT

Be interesting to see if any changes come on January 2nd when Sheriff-elect Quakenbush officially moves down the hall to the big office.

GTO_04

Be interesting to see if any changes come on January 2nd when Sheriff-elect Quakenbush officially moves down the hall to the big office.

I sure hope not, unless it's LESS encryption, which is unlikely. Most of the car-to-car (OPS) TGs have been encrypted since they went to the P25 system.

GTO_04

N9IIT

I sure hope not, unless it's LESS encryption, which is unlikely. Most of the car-to-car (OPS) TGs have been encrypted since they went to the P25 system.

GTO_04

I know there won't be any LESS encryption, but would he put the lock on all TGs except for fire dispatch? Time will tell.

N9IIT

GTO_04

When they go full time encrypted they should expect far less help from the public.

"If" not when. Most of the tac channels (except for Cicero Car-to-Car) have been encrypted right from the start so other than this one TG change there doesn't seem to be a move to more and more encryption. I agree with you on getting less help from the public if they go to full encryption.

GTO_04

Status
Not open for further replies.