Citizen band license testing pre 1975?

My family got our first license back in mid 1975. I was listening to a discussion a bit ago where an individual stated that he had to take a test to get his citizen band license. Was there any time from 1975 back that there was a this testing requirement.

I don't remember there being any testing, just fill out the appropriate form and send in the correct fee and after a bit your license came in the mail.

DJ11DLN

Premium Subscriber
Same here, application plus fee equaled license. I think it was $20 but after all these years I wouldn't want to bet the farm on that. CB radios came with a license form, or you could get one from a number of sources I can't remember at the moment either.

chill30240

Premium Subscriber
Most CB applications came in the box with the radio. If not they could be obtained free by contacting the government printing office with the form number. It was $20 for 5 years, but there was NO testing. Got mine in 1967.

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
Total waste of tax payer's money, as the FCC so often is. Added to that, all the back-room deals. Yet another reason for another Federal organization that should be done away with. :evil:

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Total waste of tax payer's money, as the FCC so often is. Added to that, all the back-room deals. Yet another reason for another Federal organization that should be done away with. :evil:
I agree that they're not all that well organized but doing away with it? I can't fathom the confusion if people didn't have some sort of model to go by and, at least occasionally, punishment for deviating from it.

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
I agree that they're not all that well organized but doing away with it? I can't fathom the confusion if people didn't have some sort of model to go by and, at least occasionally, punishment for deviating from it.

They're not doing much of that now. It's been pretty much a free for all. Never read anything constructive that they've been doing.

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
You're right. Much of it is a free-for-all, however, remember they're responsible for more than just amateur, FRS and GMRS.
Same with TV, Broadcast Radio, etc. Anything seems to go today, and if not, it goes unpunished. Then there's Ajit Pai, and all the BS over neutrality.