Status
Not open for further replies.

medic9351301

Banned
Read between the lines
Encryption will be used because of
"Secure " the key word.
Might not be when the switch is thrown.

But it will come . All its going to tith ake is the powers that be . Find out it can be heard on a scanner . And it's bye bye .
Harris systems are junk .

Plus with mdt s a lot of silent air might be expected.

RadShackFan

Spent Tuesday, 9-3-19, in Auburn house hunting. Took my GRE 800 to check VHF/UHF reception in the different neighborhoods. Just for grins I opened up the Montgomery P25 system and selected the Auburn site and turned off all the others. The scanner picked up the control channels and I got an almost constant "T" indication. Left the scanner on the system for an hour, but never heard any traffic. Looks like they are progressing quickly on getting the system up.

Auburn36801

Premium Subscriber
I have Montgomery Metro reprogrammed to my scanner. I have id search set to on. When Auburn switch to the Montgomery Metro District, or when I notice that there is activity I will let you know on this forum.

AUGOLD

I have noticed a lot of work at the tower site located behind the current police department location on North Ross Street. One of my sources with Opelika told me that the City of Opelika offered to install a tower on the southwest side of Auburn so that the ALFRN that OPD uses would fully cover Auburn. Auburn turned down the proposal. I questioned the Montgomery Metro deal at a city council meeting before a vote on spending over a million on Harris equipment, the city's public safety director said that OPD's system is a Motorola system and is too costly to maintain citing Opelika spent 2 million on upgrading their system, what he failed to mention was that upgrade was to tie OPD into the Alabama First Responders Network, he made it seem that every few years a Motorola system will require millions of dollars in upgrades. When I questioned why Auburn would not want to be on the same system they mutual aide with I was told one channel would be available for Auburn to communicate with Opelika. This can be done now with OPD patching APD's VHF channel to any of OPD's talkgroups such as Dispatch or TAC-1. On Auburn University gamedays OPD patches Lee SO TAC West, State Net, and OPD Event talk group together. I did it many times in my days of dispatching for OPD. OPD has VHF mobiles in their units to monitor Lee SO and APD, back in May when the 3 Auburn officers were ambushed and one killed both OPD and Lee SO heard the "Double Zero shots fired" call on their in-car VHF radios and responded before APD even hit the ringdown lines to call for assistance.

Harris is lining pockets to expand to every area they can. Macon County flat told them no, even after Montgomery Metro offered to build the system and buy the mobiles and portables too.

Because of money and politics, the 3 law enforcement agencies will be on 3 different systems. It is a shame that a system already in place that has the capacity to cover the entire county including the VFD's is only utilized by one agency when OPD built their system the SO and APD agreed to join in on it but after the build was started APD and the SO backed out.

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
I have observed over the past couple of days while monitoring the Lee Site on this system that Talkgroups 656 and 672 keep appearing with no understandable audio. Anyone else hearing this?

I have noticed a lot of work at the tower site located behind the current police department location on North Ross Street. One of my sources with Opelika told me that the City of Opelika offered to install a tower on the southwest side of Auburn so that the ALFRN that OPD uses would fully cover Auburn. Auburn turned down the proposal. I questioned the Montgomery Metro deal at a city council meeting before a vote on spending over a million on Harris equipment, the city's public safety director said that OPD's system is a Motorola system and is too costly to maintain citing Opelika spent 2 million on upgrading their system, what he failed to mention was that upgrade was to tie OPD into the Alabama First Responders Network, he made it seem that every few years a Motorola system will require millions of dollars in upgrades. When I questioned why Auburn would not want to be on the same system they mutual aide with I was told one channel would be available for Auburn to communicate with Opelika. This can be done now with OPD patching APD's VHF channel to any of OPD's talkgroups such as Dispatch or TAC-1. On Auburn University gamedays OPD patches Lee SO TAC West, State Net, and OPD Event talk group together. I did it many times in my days of dispatching for OPD. OPD has VHF mobiles in their units to monitor Lee SO and APD, back in May when the 3 Auburn officers were ambushed and one killed both OPD and Lee SO heard the "Double Zero shots fired" call on their in-car VHF radios and responded before APD even hit the ringdown lines to call for assistance.

Harris is lining pockets to expand to every area they can. Macon County flat told them no, even after Montgomery Metro offered to build the system and buy the mobiles and portables too.

Because of money and politics, the 3 law enforcement agencies will be on 3 different systems. It is a shame that a system already in place that has the capacity to cover the entire county including the VFD's is only utilized by one agency when OPD built their system the SO and APD agreed to join in on it but after the build was started APD and the SO backed out.
[/QUOTE]

Auburn36801

Premium Subscriber
I do not know what Talkgroups ID 656 and 672 belongs to. Auburn will switch to the trunk system once the new public safety complex building is completed in 2020.

RadShackFan

There have been several new talk groups, in the 600s, doing radio checks and test counts on the system here in Montgomery. They started on Monday and have been on at various times throughout the week. Sounds like the same 2 guys each time. Could be radio techs programming radios.

joejo95

Premium Subscriber
Metrofire31 I asked about the same TGs in the Montgomery Metro thread but never got a respones. I was in Opelika most of yesterday and I was only scanning the Auburn site with my 436 and i got hits on both TGs and they were showing up as ENCed.

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
This morning, monitoring only the “Lee” site, I was hearing Montgomery PD on TGs 1335 & 1336 with a strong signal and in the clear.

Metrofire31
Auburn-Opelika

Metrofire31 I asked about the same TGs in the Montgomery Metro thread but never got a respones. I was in Opelika most of yesterday and I was only scanning the Auburn site with my 436 and i got hits on both TGs and they were showing up as ENCed.

joejo95

Premium Subscriber
What is funny to me is I have a outside Ant. at home and i can not pick-up the Lee site, and i live just west of Phenix City, but i can get the Bullock site some what weak in the day and OK at night.

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
I was driving around the Auburn-Opelika area today (running Thanksgiving errands) and was monitoring the system. I was picking up the control channels from the Lee, Montgomery, and Bullock sites. I heard no voice traffic today.

Status
Not open for further replies.