City of Houston Project 25 TRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I appreciate that!! :)

The Wiki page that y'all have created is excellent. Houston Police and Fire P25 - The RadioReference Wiki

Combined with the TxWARN Project 25 page (Texas Wide Area Radio Network (TxWARN) Project 25 Trunking System, Various, Texas - Scanner Frequencies) and the Uniden Sentry software, it made it fairly easy to understand and test.

I do have an update suggestion for the HPD Wiki page, and that would be to remove this statement: "As this article is being prepared, there is only one scanner available (the GRE PSR800) that is capable of monitoring P25 Phase 2 channels, and that unit is no longer in production."

I'm not "Wikified", but feel free to change it yourself if you are so inclined.

jschandua87

Premium Subscriber
I have a question. I have a bcd536hp and I have the full database on. Now when I am in Houston it's scanning a lot of other sites. Now if I just want to hear HPD and HCSO do I need to hit,the avoid button to block the other sites? And also I have the unit ID turn on and I am not seeing it. Also I understand you can go in and make a favorite list. But I would just like to see what is the best option. And also if I go in to the full database and make name changes would it stay or will it change back when I updated it? I hope someone can understand what I am asking.

Robert721

Create a Favorites list for each. I have a Favorite list for each area and set a quick key to each. North Shepard is 1 and then east 2 etc.. same with the SO. That will allow you to listen to particular are instead of all of it

afremont

Premium Subscriber
TXWARN sites that can be heard in JV

Hello, I hope this is the right place to ask this. I like to monitor JVPD and I've been using Harris County 1-052 Central Simulcast. I don't always get the best reception in JV, but it does seem to carry all of the traffic. Are there any other sites that I might be able to hear better, preferably not a simulcast site since multipath drives me nuts.

I tried the 3-002 Houston Public Safety NW and I can receive it really well, but it doesn't seem to carry the talkgroups I wish to hear. Is that the City of Houston only? Any suggestions on what to try next?

BCD996XT

scanfan03

Premium Subscriber
For JVPD you will only hear them on the Harris County Simulcast tower. No TDMA and they didn't switch to the Cy-Fair System... JVFD you can still hear on UHF. The Houston Public Safety NW tower is TDMA and only for the city of houston (HFD, HPD) and other TDMA agencies on the system (aka Cy-Fair ISD PD and I think the Villages).

afremont

Premium Subscriber
First off, thanks for the replies. Something changed last night (17 Feb 2016) at 7:30pm. Not a peep from JVPD since then. Nothing was heard on the radio to indicate that they were doing any changes.

Have they switched systems and/or gone to TDMA? I verified that the radio still works for other talk groups and I have an excellent signal. I've continued to listen to Central Harris County simulcast since I found a good spot in the house to receive the signal consistently. I'll go ahead and try the NW HC simulcast system just to be safe.

Maybe it's time to buy a phase II (TDMA) scanner? I've currently got a BCD996XT and a PRO-106. Two fine radios that can't receive TDMA. Both are less than 2 years old. :(

afremont

Premium Subscriber
I guess you can't edit a post after a little while, so I'll do a quick follow up.

I've tried the other system (NW HC simulcast) It comes in fine and I can hear traffic on it for the other agencies, but not a peep out of JVPD. Anyone have any idea what they've done? I hope they haven't encrypted their stuff.

afremont

Premium Subscriber
It appears that CMDCOMM is likely correct. I don't have TDMA though. :( Can you (CMDCOMM) tell me what talk groups they are using? Thanks.

N5AMS

May have to upgrade soon most are starting to go that way

Sent from my STUDIO ENERGY 2 using Tapatalk

cmdcomm

Feed Provider
Told ya so ;) JV had patches from the Cy-Fair system to the Tx-WARN and cut them off last night. I am pretty sure JVPD was/is encrypted but the patch let it be heard after going through the console. I will confirm the talk groups on the CFVFD system and encryption soon.

afremont

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, I appreciate it. I'd sure like to know if they're encrypted before shelling out $400 for a new Phase II TDMA capable scanner.

N5AMS

When did they encrypt jvpd on txwarn i missed that they were in the clear for a while

Sent from my STUDIO ENERGY 2 using Tapatalk

afremont

Premium Subscriber
It was always in the clear on TXWARN. Being a resident of JV, this really really bugs me if they're going to encrypt everything. My taxes pay for all of this and I think I have a right to monitor basic information. I fully understand the desire to encrypt sensitive information, but basic traffic control and calls for service are not exactly what I'd call "sensitive information". Thanks for the information.

adcockfred

Remember a jury can make a law. Why do you think the fcc 86 broadband ing. After the hfd deal. They knew if they ran it up the hill to the Supreme Court they would lose. No matter what mother or Sam Walton wanted. It will just take time straighten out.

afremont

Premium Subscriber
Can you tell me the talk groups being used by JVPD? Is everything encrypted all the time, including the primary dispatch?

RexBanner

I got out of scanning for about two years due to frustration with the P25 change and getting it to work with my Pro-106. I ended up selling the Pro-106 in mid-2014 and am interested in getting into the hobby again.

With that being said, any opinions on HPD and HCSO with the BCD436HP? Can I expect higher quality by going with the BCD436HP than I was used to with my Pro-106, or is there a better option available? I intend to use this in the car with the stock antenna (no external)

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.