City of Springfield PD/FD

Status
Not open for further replies.

santafe2016

city of springfield

It is worth the upgrade price and with the City having financial issues I don't see a change in the future coming soon that will take this away.

n8dhw

Premium Subscriber
That's is up to you. Harris which now owns the EDACS and Provoice protocols has said they will stop support for both here in the near future. So I don't see how they could continue using that system without support from the manufacturer. Harris has been moving EDACS users to P25 like Miami County is doing. So it's only a matter of time that Springfield would follow suit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

santafe2016

finances

what does a municipality do when the radio man. discontinues support yet the cannot afford to spend millions on a new system? I mean you and I try to conserve monies yet Government doesnt but how do they pay for a system if they don't have money? Seriously!!

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
what does a municipality do when the radio man. discontinues support yet the cannot afford to spend millions on a new system? I mean you and I try to conserve monies yet Government doesnt but how do they pay for a system if they don't have money? Seriously!!

If an agency failed to plan and budget for system upgrade or replacement knowing that their existing system would no longer be supported after a certain date, that's their own fault.

The End of Life for these systems was announced and has been well known for several years; both Motorola and Harris typically announce end of life 5-7 years before it actually happens. The End of Life announcements were made for Motorola Smartnet in 2010 (EOL 12/312018) and Harris EDACS in 2012 (EOL 12/31/2017).

After end of life, support is typically "best effort" meaning the service shops will fix it if they can, but if it can't be fixed, sorry about your luck.

Last edited:

santafe2016

Thanks Tom so its like going to the junkyard to find the part that broke and hope somebody still has XYZ part. what a way to run a city.They just lost a measure here in Springfield to up the tax rate now threatening to close a fire house and pull some officers off the street. My thinking is if they have no money to run basics how do you pay millions for a new system , but someone was right, Marcs is only a down payment needed to get into business in comparison to building a new radio system.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Thanks Tom so its like going to the junkyard to find the part that broke and hope somebody still has XYZ part. what a way to run a city.They just lost a measure here in Springfield to up the tax rate now threatening to close a fire house and pull some officers off the street. My thinking is if they have no money to run basics how do you pay millions for a new system , but someone was right, Marcs is only a down payment needed to get into business in comparison to building a new radio system.

MARCS would probably be a more viable option for Springfield. Buying the necessary radios and paying $20 a month per radio would be more attractive than having to come up with a few million all at once.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Springfield has a history of poor management going back many many years.

They may be eligible for state or federal grant money. It's is a shame that our government can "bail out" big businesses but not our inner cities.

n8wel

Buckeye Toad
Springfield

The city just recently posted a job opening for communications manager and not sure if this improve management yet. Also politics changed on SO and not sure if that will help on a joint dispatch center venture that never developed previously. The city is very backward on everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.