City of Toronto?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacobsmith

Will the City of Toronto be upgrading their radio system? Also, does Ontario plan on building a Province wide radio system, and would Toronto join that if so? Thaaanks.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Will the City of Toronto be upgrading their radio system?

Already underway and has been for some time. When it will be complete and actually switch over is anyones guess at this point. If you search back thru the forum here you should be able to find various conversations about it.

Also, does Ontario plan on building a Province wide radio system

Already done. See: Bell Fleetnet - Ontario Provincial Government Zone 1 Trunking System, Southwest Zone, Ontario - Scanner Frequencies. There are also 3 other Zones to this system covering the more Northern parts of the province.

and would Toronto join that if so?

No, they will stay on their own system.

_jabber_

Sooner than later i guess

Got Rob Ford's email this morning and clearly indicates the money has been allocated.

partial quote:

New radio communications for Police, Fire and EMS; replacement of firefighters bunker suits ($8.2 Million), breathing apparatus ($5.8 million) and portable radios ($5 million)

Construction of 3 new fire stations to improve emergency response times in Scarborough and across the city

(If anyone wants the full email outlining bike paths, subway cars, buses etc... please contact me and will forward)

Last edited:

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Capitol budgets can't be easily changed. The voice radio project has been approved and in the works for about 5 years with money being put aside every year. Currently, they're very close to being able to switch. Everyone with the exception of 1 District, is using APX7000 portables and XTL5000 mobiles so they are certainly capable of 9600 P25 trunking. They have encryption in their flashcode as well. As for the system equipment, that's anybody's guess. Given the rate they've been switching out subscriber units, I'd say maybe 2 years? That is just a total guess of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.