City of Tulsa Communications cad errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfolta1

Anyone else noticed that for the last 4 saturdays in a row cads has gone down at or shortly after midnight? Wonder whats up with that?

car2back

I have. Probably because the software was written during the stone age ;) They've been having problems for awhile with how it interfaces with the radios (EBA's make it go crazy) and seems to have gotten worse recently. I've also heard the City is holding off on getting something new/better until when they move locations

Secret_Squirrel

Nut Protector Extraordinaire
They told me it was state-of-the-art about 11 years ago. :)

It's the places that still claim that stuff is state of the art when in fact it was introduced when I was diapers that make me wonder. :) Of course, that's purely hypothetical. I mean, there's no place around here that would claim anything like that. <g>

KD5WLX

Technical Irony

I believe this is what's known as an oxymoron - contradictory terms in one statement.

In the computer world, by the time a design can go from idea, to requirements, to specification, to implementation, to deliverable, to installed - it is already obsolete.

CADS is COMPUTER Assisted Dispatch System. Therefore, NO CADS can every be state of the art, because (by the above definition of computer hardware/software design) it is obsolete BEFORE it is delivered. And that rule applies to the retail shrinkwrap software world, retail and office computer systems hardware and peripherals, and web site programming.

When you throw in that this one had to be speced by a government entity, then tested and accepted by same, and it was guaranteed to be doubly obsolete before they ever plugged it in.

Then add in that these electronics based devices have hardware lifetimes (mean time between failures) and I'm somewhat surprised it's even still running.

(27 years in the computer biz)

mfolta1

oh its state of the art alright, its a guaranteed crash every sat night baby and NO other cads system can produce those rock solid sat night crash fits like ours! cads needs a night off to party like the rest of us, i say sat night is alright for partying and then "crashing" for mr cads!! heh!

Status
Not open for further replies.