Clarkstown Police NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD2EUM

anyone else having problems picking up law dispatch scanner audio for Clarkstown pd, Rockland County NY?
Ive had no problems for years using Home Patrol 2, and just recently last week it stopped picking up audio. Scanner id updated to most recent database. Please help. Thanx in advance.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Clarkstown operates on the county system. 858.7125 is a patch from the trunked system, and may be off the air for some reason.

Scan the county trunked system and you'll hear them.

KD2EUM

Thnx for the response. I'll try scanning the trunked system. Can u point me in the right direction for monitoring that frequency on the home patrol 2. I'm not sure I'm monitoring the right frequency. In the past I monitored "municipalities clarkstown " on the 800 band. Now that frequency is dead air.

KD2EUM

Why would u say they r encrypted? Do u know that for a fact because they have been on the air for as long as I can remember. That's sux if they went encrypted

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I'm pretty sure Clarkstown PD is using ADP encryption on the trunked system.

I stand corrected, their patrol TG is in the clear. Some of their special TG's are encrypted.

Clarkstown PD has two talkgroups on the system. The main talkgroup 2021 is in the clear, always has been. The SIU talkgroup 2022 is encrypted.

The info in the database is 100% accurate for that system.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Any idea why they have a 800 conventional simulcast? Their old (pre TRS) was vhf, so it's not just patching the old to new.
Did they have coverage issues with the countywide system?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
858.7125 was first licensed by Clarkstown in 1993 and was in use for years for their MDT system. They eventually switched to Verizon's network, rendering the 800 MHz frequency silent.

As the rest of the county's police departments were starting to migrate over to the 700 MHz system, Clarkstown decided that having an existing 800 MHz repeater gave them an advantage as far as being able to maintain their own backup to the county system that would operate using the 700/800 MHz APX radios they were already deploying.

So, they converted the Quantar repeater from data to voice, and wired up their APX consolette so that it would multi-cast on the 700 MHz talkgroup and 858.7125 whenever they keyed from the consoles. They also enabled a console patch between the two resources.

CPD operates natively on 700 MHz, although on rare occasion you might hear a radio accessing the 800 MHz repeater directly. All of their radios have 858.7125 programmed in for backup purposes should there be a trunked system failure.

No, there are no significant coverage issues for them. The New City RF subsite was activated in Sept of 2015, which increased the signal in the area by quite a bit.

In the end, it's just easier to leave it setup as a multi-cast so that if there's a problem on 700 MHz, they're already transmitting on 800 MHz without having to do anything else. Also, while maybe not their intention, it also makes it easier and cheaper to monitor them on 800 MHz FDMA than it does on 700 MHz TDMA for those without APX subscribers. Which of course allows for interop with outside agencies such as Westchester's aviation unit, which I don't believe has 700 MHz TDMA capability yet.

KD2EUM

Can I monitor clarkstown police if I have an apco 25 phase 1 receiver. In other words can the unication G5 receiver pick up that frequency? Thnx in advance

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
As detailed in previous posts, 858.7125 is a standalone repeater that Clarkstown has linked to the 700 talkgroup. As long as that link is active, you'll hear them on 858.7125. As with all conventional P25, it's FDMA (Phase I)

KD2EUM

I'm a little confused because u say it's phase 1 but radio reference says its phase 2

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I assumed that you were referring to listening to CPD on their 800 MHz repeater, rather than the trunked system.

The 700 MHz trunked system is indeed Phase II (TDMA), which the Unication is not yet capable of decoding. So no, at present time, you cannot listen to the CPD trunked system talkgroup on a Unication, although they claim a paid firmware upgrade for Phase II is in the works.

What you can do is monitor the 800 MHz repeater on 858.7125 with any P25 receiver, as that signal is Phase I (FDMA). The audio from that repeater is patched from the trunked system talkgroup.

KD2EUM

Awesome. I wasn't gonna purchase the G5 unless I could pick up that frequency but if u say I can monitor it on the 800 band then I will purchase it tomorrow. Thnx for your help.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Yeah, you would definitely be able to monitor CPD on their 800 repeater for the time being, then when the Phase II firmware comes out for the G5, you should be able to program the trunked system and monitor their talkgroup directly (allowing you to scan other talkgroups at the same time)

Status
Not open for further replies.