Cleaning a yellow keypad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbedsole

Premium Subscriber
Just picked up a used Pro-197 for a pretty good deal. Seems to work fine, but the keypad has yellowed considerably.

I was thinking of ordering a new keypad (or key top) but according to some other posts, no more of those parts are available.

Anyone have any solutions to restore the original white color back from the yellow?

Thanks.

Nasby

I have had decent results with household liquid cleanser with bleach or just straight bleach on a cotton rag.

Those yellow stains are tough to remove.

I think they are caused by cigarette smoke or smokers with nicotine on their fingers when they hit the keys.

bbedsole

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, I agree about the smoker thing, because I could actually smell cigarettes when I unpacked it.

I honestly think it's the SMOKE itself that's responsible for the yellowing, because it's not just a few buttons, it's the whole keypad. All keys are the same shade of yellow. I can only imagine living in that house.

(sorry smokers, no disrespect)

Violation

It might be a good idea to start out with the mildest solution first (plain water), then graduate up to the stronger cleaners if needed (add a little soap or windex, alchol, ect) just not damage the surface of the keypad unnecessarly. I have a natural fear of damaging something such as this.....Good luck....PW

Status
Not open for further replies.