Cleveland PD - Pro 106

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jphila20

Retired LE. Honor our Fallen.
Premium Subscriber
Has anyone had issues monitoring CPD? I can get them, but they come through in a choppy manner - voice drops in and out. Any suggestions?

SCPD

QRT
Don't think it's necessarily a Pro 106 issue. There are reports outside Cuyahoga county of weak coverage and/or simulcast problems. Check the GCRCN thread.

an39511

The Pro-106 has difficulty with any simulcast system. I can monitor Cleveland with some audio choppiness due to simulcast distortion. The distortion is really bad trying to receive MARCS P25 IP simulcast. The Uniden BCD536HP or the BCD436 scanners do a better job but are not perfect and not a guarantee it will solve your problem. Your physical location, weather and seasons are all contributing factors to this type of distortion.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Optimize Scanner

At present, I am also experiencing simulcast distortion in my area. Initially, I thought it was my radio. I have made some minor adjustments in my radio using the following reference. You might want to review the optimizing section. Easier to Read Pro-106/197/PSR500/600 Digital Scanner Manual

Also, you might consider using the Radio Shack 800 mhz antenna. I have started using this antenna again. It has helped, a bit. I am currently saving for one of the new Phase II scanners from Uniden or Whistler. Some have reported the PSR 800 (soon to be rebranded) & Uniden BCD436HP handle simulcast distortion better. Hopefully, this will help you monitor CPD.

Last edited:

jdolina

Premium Subscriber
I have both the pro-106 and BCD436HP. The 436 does do GCRN better in my area side by side with the stock antenna and set to FM. The pro-106 does not do a bad job, here is what I had to do with it. The stock antenna worked better than the 800mhz antenna. Depending on the day, weather and sun spots I have to move the radio to the optimal position. I put some marks on my desk and try each spot when using it to see what works best. Sometimes just inches horizontally or vertically will make the difference.

kb8rvp

I just back from a work trip for a week in Warren Ohio and took the PSR-800 as well as the new BCD436/536HP scanners and the PSR-800 was choppy at times while the new Uniden scanners had no issues with simulcast.

Mike

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
436 Vs PSR 800

I just back from a work trip for a week in Warren Ohio and took the PSR-800 as well as the new BCD436/536HP scanners and the PSR-800 was choppy at times while the new Uniden scanners had no issues with simulcast.

Mike

That is an interesting observation. I have heard the opposite. I know this is highly variable depending on environmental conditions, but some people have said the PSR 800 locked onto systems before the 436. I am making note of this since I might buy one or the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.