• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

clubs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never quite understood the reason for joining clubs. Perhaps at one time before the internet, people would join a club to gather information or an inclusion of a magazine subscription covering the respective hobby or interest. But now, you can access information on just about anything so why join and pay dues for a club?

I never quite understood the reason for joining clubs. Perhaps at one time before the internet, people would join a club to gather information or an inclusion of a magazine subscription covering the respective hobby or interest. But now, you can access information on just about anything so why join and pay dues for a club?
Depending upon the type of Club. I am a officer in a local social Club. Great times and cheap beer.

Meet and Greet

Reading between the lines, I surmise a person who may have a hard time fitting in. You may not quite grasp what the social aspect of a club is. Perhaps you go from one club to another, or maybe even one church to another, trying to make friends, but things just can't seem to click for you. I'm curious if you're the type of person who, when they do show up at a social event, just sits there. You don't get up and talk to anyone, you have a hard time starting a conversation, someone else trying to talk to you has a hard time getting a meaningful dialog from you, etc.. I ponder all this from reading your post.

I recommend you read the book "How to Make Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie.

First of all, I’ve belonged to the same church for over 25 years and love it and my fellow members.
I was talking about secular clubs pre internet where you would pay dues just to gain info.
Some people still belong to such things when there is little to no social interaction anyway.
So in other words, why spend the money for something when you have the internet?
Good perspective though.

Most people need to feel accepted and feel a part of something.
Most clubs and groups are merely social gatherings.
And it's hard to get that social interaction behind a keyboard
Why do people join gyms?
They can exercise at home.

I would guess that many people would join a gym for better access certain equipment that would not be practical or very costly for home use but it just depends on how much you are into that type of exercise.
A simple brisk walk is good enough for me but I never really got the impression that there was much social interaction at a gym anyway.
I suppose it’s human nature to want to be accepted but I find the older I get the more I embrace the idea of take it or leave it when it comes to others.
It’s great if they like me and if not, no big deal since it’s easier just to go and do my own thing and I’m fine with that.

There is a huge variety of personality types, and a huge variety of interests just in the ham radio community itself. I'm not really a joiner, but I'm a member of several clubs. The clubs I like are quite technical in nature, well beyond what typical amateur clubs are capable of. If not for that aspect, I wouldn't join. Yet, even a technical club has a social aspect that I quite enjoy, and now that I've joined these clubs, I'll never leave, because I do enjoy the social interactions.

I get the sense that your username here CrabbyMilton is quite descriptive. Feel free to crab about things, it's made for some entertaining threads. But keep in mind, not everyone shares your sourpuss nature, and some people quite like being in the company of people who enjoy the same hobby. They don't even have to really do anything but get together on the same place at the same time on occasion.

Well ZZ I can appreciate that there are any number of segmented interests and sub interests so your points are well taken. I just prefer to do my own thing that's all but whatever you want to do is your prerogative.
You can call me an old sourpuss all day long and it won't bother me one single bit and I'm almost flattered anyway. I'm glad you enjoy this forum as do I.

Status
Not open for further replies.