Coast Guard digital

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Picked up here at the Saginaw river Coast Guard station on 167.625 NAC 293 is in the clear as well. Originally picked it up a few days ago with close call.

Searched here for 167.625 was being mentioned as FBI use.

KK4LQX

Premium Subscriber
The frequency you mentioned is not programmed into any standard Coast Guard radio.

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber
The frequency you heard is not a previously known Coast Guard allocation. They do have an allocation of 167.9000 MHz, and there a quite a few frequencies in the 167 MHz area that are not exclusive to the FBI or Justice Department.

With that said, and if what you are hearing is not an image of another frequency, it is entirely possible that it was allocated to the USCG in that one location only, possibly a link to one of the remote sites.

Keep listening and see what else comes up.

- Chris

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
I'll keep looking further maybe a harmonic, but what I picked up yesterday was we had the Freighter Algorail stuck in the Saginaw river and had the Saginaw River Coast Guard boats out around it and I recall hearing a question around 8 pm " do you know if you if there is any bow damage?" " reply was essentially - we havent seen any. Previously I picked up a close call hit last Friday during the boat racing - river roar, which also had heavy presence of Coast Guard. Looking further if I made a mistake in copying over the freq possibly 163.325 was another one. When I got home though the 167.625 was the one with the nac 293 that when I heard it was set for nac search.
We do have an FBI presence in town, building near this, but what I heard yesterday lead me to believe its Coast Guard.

Ill keep listening to all, with our fireworks coming up that are shot over the water with a couple hundred boats in the water and coast guard keeping the fireworks area clear, a week later we have the tall ships in town and the guard are always there of course.

Last edited:

RohnsRadio

Premium Subscriber
harmonic is a real good possibility, but it is always possible it "could" be a "special use" freq for the area. maybe if the coast guard is working with other federal law agencies?
i would keep an eye ...... or ear as the case may be to see what shows up on the channel.

diskmonger

I've logged 167.625 NAC293 in the Detroit area and have it listed as Coast Guard. They do use a fair amount of encryption but the transmissions I've heard in the clear sound like CG.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
diskmonger any other CG frequencies you log ? Dont hold back! hehe
One other off normal marine band Ive picked up several times is 412.925 helos but are encrypted.

Last edited:

jpryor

USCG Station Toledo has been using 167.1125 MHz NAC 293 calling it "AG 101" as primary in place of channel 23A since around spring of 2012. Traffic is between Station Toledo and their boats along with radio checks with Sector Detroit. A mix of coded and clear traffic has been present. This had essentially replaced VHF Marine Channel 23A for most of the Station Toledo routine operations. I have a small collection of P25 Radio IDs all in the 5xxxxxx range with a number annotated to the various boats and station radios.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
167.625 is definitely CG, heard this one on my 996T, previously it was on a 396XT. I don't know where they were going but I heard on ch 16 - "Lafayette bridge (drawbridge) we need an opening" - hearing the siren in the background, 30 seconds later... "Lafayette we need an opening NOW !" Never heard em being so very forceful on the radio like that before with the bridge tenders. Anyway 167.625 came on barely a minute later one side enc, other clear but I still heard the same siren in the background.

Ive put in all the marine - coast guard tactical frequencies from rr from before, this freq and the 167.1125 arent there, so we as a group on rr we should start getting the freqs we're finding! :)

I updated the wiki where I found what I had at http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/United_States_Coast_Guard
Dont know what CG ch. my find is so I put in a ?.

Last edited:

ecps92

Could be due to being near Canada they had to get different channels to use ?
Just like CAP did by restricting some frequencies

Good Catches

As for the Radio ID's, there was a posting on the Fedcom listserv
The FedCom Archives recently asking if anyone else was logging the ID's for the various stations/boats/cutters/aircraft

USCG Station Toledo has been using 167.1125 MHz NAC 293 calling it "AG 101" as primary in place of channel 23A since around spring of 2012. Traffic is between Station Toledo and their boats along with radio checks with Sector Detroit. A mix of coded and clear traffic has been present. This had essentially replaced VHF Marine Channel 23A for most of the Station Toledo routine operations. I have a small collection of P25 Radio IDs all in the 5xxxxxx range with a number annotated to the various boats and station radios.

ecps92

Ron, should it be 6250 not 6125 in the Wiki ??

167.625 is definitely CG, heard this one on my 996T, previously it was on a 396XT. I don't know where they were going but I heard on ch 16 - "Lafayette bridge (drawbridge) we need an opening" - hearing the siren in the background, 30 seconds later... "Lafayette we need an opening NOW !" Never heard em being so very forceful on the radio like that before with the bridge tenders. Anyway 167.625 came on barely a minute later one side enc, other clear but I still heard the same siren in the background.

Ive put in all the marine - coast guard tactical frequencies from rr from before, this freq and the 167.1125 arent there, so we as a group on rr we should start getting the freqs we're finding! :)

I updated the wiki where I found what I had at United States Coast Guard - The RadioReference Wiki

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
I updated the wiki where I found what I had at United States Coast Guard - The RadioReference Wiki
For the sake of organization the CG freqs should have their own table since they're part of a standard programming template. This unknown and that AG freq should go to another table with more information on their use, since they're certainly a regional thing and probably not applicable nationwide whereas the CG's are.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Well there are currently in that same slot area 14 listed have no details, 15 that are identified as regional and arent nationwide as these two found are regional. So much of that info already there to me would fit that same regional criteria?
Granted the heading shows an article from back in 2008 about those. Since it has been that long IMO someone would have heard these by now? We should do some research to see if those unidentified's are even valid anymore?

Ok I moved those two, made a Great lakes heading. .
Looking at history the original edit that listed the 2008 referenced article frequencies had no listed regionals under the current Details heading as it does now, even the channel designations are all changed from the original that had two digits, now all are three digits.

Maybe we should just say in the heading to say in reference, the frequencies came from that article and details since the article appeared has been updated to reflect current useages?

Last edited:

ecps92

Yup, those are the ones folks have taken time to Report based on the National Code Plug

Remember, not everyone Reports/Makes submissions. :( Also, altho Nationally allocated, some might be assigned for Large Events (Tall Ships) in an area, or never used

This is the first report of any Special Regional channels, outside of the NET-15x Series reported from Washington State.

Well there are currently in that same slot area 14 listed have no details, 15 that are identified as regional and arent nationwide as these two found are regional. So much of that info already there to me would fit that same regional criteria?
Granted the heading shows an article from back in 2008 about those. Since it has been that long IMO someone would have heard these by now? We should do some research to see if those unidentified's are even valid anymore?

Ok I moved those two, made a Great lakes heading. .
Looking at history the original edit that listed the 2008 referenced article frequencies had no listed regionals under the current Details heading as it does now, even the channel designations are all changed from the original that had two digits, now all are three digits.

Maybe we should just say in the heading to say in reference, the frequencies came from that article and details since the article appeared has been updated to reflect current useages?

CapnJon

For the sake of organization the CG freqs should have their own table since they're part of a standard programming template. This unknown and that AG freq should go to another table with more information on their use, since they're certainly a regional thing and probably not applicable nationwide whereas the CG's are.

I've been out since 1998 (USCG) but I can pretty much assure you they are nationwide in these new freq's and not just regional. I'll have to program them in my scanners. I only hear Duluth or Bayfield and just the MRIB on 16 from Sector Soo on 16/22. It has changed so much since I've been retired.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Whelp based on CapnJon's comments all these frequencies are nationwide and that the Great Lakes section should be dissolved and merged back into where it was with the rest.
Again I would say still refer to the magazine article, but state that since it was published - nine years ago the items have been updated since.

For reference 167.625 still is being used with just some encryption.

ecps92

I would hold off.

Since 1998 there have been plenty of changes, we have gone from LANT and PAC-COM to CG/NET

Also, Coordination with Canada (CAP as an example) has resulted in Border changes. Lets see what other folks can define/confirm first

Whelp based on CapnJon's comments all these frequencies are nationwide and that the Great Lakes section should be dissolved and merged back into where it was with the rest.
Again I would say still refer to the magazine article, but state that since it was published - nine years ago the items have been updated since.

For reference 167.625 still is being used with just some encryption.

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber

The new Coast Guard channel list was published in May of 2008, so it's only a little over 5 years ago, not 9.

While there certainly could have been updates since then, the use of the original VHF NET channels has been pretty consistent across the country, until these channels showed up. Keep listening and we will see what might be going on...

- Chris

ecps92

As the CG LMR got rolled out, the format of the channel names changed a few times.

The VHF NET-xx, became NET-1xxx, now it's more CG-1xx, all depends on what version of the codeplug is in the radios.

I fail at math HAHA!

need to look at this one that was recently from another thread,
MT Fed Files: US Coast Guard VHF/UHF Frequency Updates
Its by MT, more up to date the channel designations are different... just clearly is-appears more up to date

Status
Not open for further replies.