Coast Guard- marine activity 468.1875

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvdet

over the summer I ahve picked up 468.1875 repeater with marine type activity
tonight there is a Coast Guard drill on boarding ships entering a security zone - maybe CG auxilary?
but have heard others
Tried various harmonic freq's if this is an image but all my calculations put it up in the 480's or the ham 440"s
so what say you

fineshot1

tonight there is a Coast Guard drill on boarding ships entering a security zone - maybe CG auxilary?
but have heard others
Tried various harmonic freq's if this is an image but all my calculations put it up in the 480's or the ham 440"s
so what say you

Must be an image cause that is a repeater input(the output is 5Mhz lower) or you are
actually close enough to the input to hear the activity on it.

ecps92

SeaTow, TowBoat and other AAA of the High Seas uses UHF as remote links to/from the Remote TX/RX Sites and they do monitor multiple VHF Marine channels.

So many Options / So many more Questions..

a.) Are you getting a PL/DPL on this??
b.) CG Aux is 150.7000
c.) 468.1875 is typically a Medical Licensed Channel, maybe a Pac/RT from an ambulance in Scan ?
d.) An image from 451-453 or 461-465 Mhz Business Band
e.) Also the CG has been known to appear in the UHF Business/Gov't Bands from on-board the Cutters... YMMV

Anyone Else in the NJ/NY/DE know the Seatow??
Cape Cod uses 452.1750

but have heard others
so what say you

ecps92

Well that answers/narrows part of this down. :)

The Only NJ license [Non Medical] I saw was "Atlantic" something expired in 2002 ish and was a Rental type vendor/provider.

put it in my xts2500,it is a repeater output -loud and clear no pl yet but it was interesting as i could not find the image freq if in fact this is an image, more like a rebroadcast?

ScanXO

formally East Jersey part time south of the Border
this comes and goes when i travel through northeast NJ, it is odd
as for license - you dont need no stinkin license, there are many rental users in the metro area that are not license for some of the channels they use, there are several PD's which have unlicense secondary channels they use ....
still this is odd

ecps92

Many of the Rental Users are licensed under the Rental Company [Radio Shop] so they don't need a license

As for the PD's there is still a little known [from a Scanner listener perspective] that allows Police to use [low power] ANY Part-90 frequency for Surv/Tactical Ops on a Non-Interference basis.

They might also be licensed thru a State or Regional Agency, or it just plain ole expired and was mailed to Sgt XYZ who had retired so they let it hit the shreder :) [Too many options w/o examples of users/freqs]

this comes and goes when i travel through northeast NJ, it is odd
as for license - you dont need no stinkin license, there are many rental users in the metro area that are not license for some of the channels they use, there are several PD's which have unlicense secondary channels they use ....
still this is odd

ScanXO

formally East Jersey part time south of the Border
{Many of the Rental Users are licensed under the Rental Company [Radio Shop] so they don't need a license

As for the PD's there is still a little known [from a Scanner listener perspective] that allows Police to use [low power] ANY Part-90 frequency for Surv/Tactical Ops on a Non-Interference basis.

They might also be licensed thru a State or Regional Agency, or it just plain ole expired and was mailed to Sgt XYZ who had retired so they let it hit the shreder [Too many options w/o examples of users/freqs]}

NO there are many agencies that are using unlicense channels for regular -ops - on purpose - period

Last edited:

NO there are many agencies that are using unlicense channels for regular -ops - on purpose - period
The licensing situation is complicated. Some police departments have entered into leases with auction winners for the use of old paging, IMTS, and VHF public coast channels. In these cases, there might be a lease noted on the FCC license, or the license might be "market based."

47 CFR 80.373 (g) details 4 on-board UHF repeater pairs that use odd splits. These are authorized for shipboard communications.
HTs/ Repeater
1 ..................................... 467.750/ 457.525
2 ..................................... 467.775/ 457.550
3 ..................................... 467.800/ 457.575
4 ..................................... 467.825/ 457.600

That still doesn't explain the 468 MHz use. IMSA typically coordinates the entire block of MED channels. Mobile repeaters (Micor mobiles with a PacRT box and duplexers) on these frequencies used to be very common, but they were on the traditional 10 wideband frequencies, not the narrowband interstitials. The mobile repeaters (MO3) would repeat both the base frequency (463) and one of four 453 MHz low power frequencies used by a full-duplex (but not repeated) low power APCOR. As good a guess as any, maybe one of these things was surplussed and got re-crystalled and "retasked"? And, maybe an entrepreneur self-coordinated and decided these 12.5 kHz offsets weren't used much and no one would notice?

I should also say that exploiting that 90.20(f)(5) SWAT and surveillance loophole isn't exactly compliant with the Rules. These operations need to be no greater than 2 Watts and still need to be coordinated, even though they're licensed by rule, not specific frequency. A department or shop can't (legally) pick a frequency and start using it without going through one of the public safety frequency coordinators. Permanent "unlisted number" ops with high power is not authorized.

radiomanNJ1

as the mystery continues; caught a conversation yesterday - comments about docks, wind, people but what caught my ear was that after 'they' were talking 'they 'said 'switching back to channel 69'
later heard what sounded like an EMS pageing tone out later in the day what sounded like a tow company,
am never near the radio to get a full conversation so it it still up in the air - pun - who or what the set up is

and to add about low power & unlicense ops - I know first hand of many PD and some business - which operate unlicense at more than 'low' power- too those who say it cant be done - it is - stop with quoteing rules & regs
get over it or call the FCC

jvdet

for all the not so helpful comments
468.1875 is a Tarrytown, NY FD channel- for all those who said it cant be unlicense - never mind
I was going to post negitive comments back..but this forum is hobby related - with 800+ views someone accidently came thru
end of thread

ecps92

?? Can't be Unlicensed ?? Confussed with your sentence syntax

Hmmm - the license is thru the Country for 2000 units
ULS License - Public Safety Pool, Conventional License - KZW911 - WESTCHESTER, COUNTY OF
for EMS Operations

for all the not so helpful comments
468.1875 is a Tarrytown, NY FD channel- for all those who said it cant be unlicense - never mind
I was going to post negitive comments back..but this forum is hobby related - with 800+ views someone accidently came thru
end of thread

and to add about low power & unlicense ops - I know first hand of many PD and some business - which operate unlicense at more than 'low' power- too those who say it cant be done - it is - stop with quoteing rules & regs
get over it or call the FCC
Quit taking it personally. The rules are the rules. The FCC is in serious hurt mode with respect to funding. They're looking at a 4 month backlog because of attrition in their licensing unit. It's just like red light cameras coming into town to make up for the budget. If some knucklehead set up outside of the rules because it was convenient (this could be a hammie radio set to cross-band between VHF and UHF) or because they couldn't find anything else, when the FCC gets hungry enough, they'll go out with a Deputy U.S. Marshal, look for them, shut them down, and fine them. It's easy and they do it all the time. As they say out west, "my dog's not in this fight."

radiomanNJ1

Where are you getting your supposed information?
There is NO requirement of coordination that law enforcement who can use any frequency on low power as long as they do not interfere with others. It is not an explotation, it is the rules of the FCC.

Perhaps you are with the Field Enforcement Bureau of the Federal Communicaitons Commssion?
Do you think they actually care? There are many unlicensed users on various frequencies all over the country.
Marine channels are used Railroad channels are used. Police agencies often run with expired licenses and or unlicensed channels either though an effort to try to remain covert or through a lack or response to renewal notices. There are radio "shops" that don't care or act with the wishes of the agency not to license the freq. There is also a coordination issue and cost.

Where are you getting your supposed information?
There is NO requirement of coordination that law enforcement who can use any frequency on low power as long as they do not interfere with others. It is not an explotation, it is the rules of the FCC.

Perhaps you are with the Field Enforcement Bureau of the Federal Communicaitons Commssion?
Do you think they actually care? There are many unlicensed users on various frequencies all over the country.
Marine channels are used Railroad channels are used. Police agencies often run with expired licenses and or unlicensed channels either though an effort to try to remain covert or through a lack or response to renewal notices. There are radio "shops" that don't care or act with the wishes of the agency not to license the freq. There is also a coordination issue and cost.
Look familiar?

(5) A Police licensee may use, without
special authorization from the
Commission, any mobile service frequency
between 40 and 952 MHz, listed
in paragraph (c)(3) of this section, for
communications in connection with
physical surveillance, stakeouts, raids,
and other such activities. Such use
shall be on a secondary basis to operations
of licensees regularly authorized
on the assigned frequencies. The maximum
output power that may be used
for such communications is 2 watts.
Transmitters, operating under this provision
of the rules, shall be exempted
from the station identification requirements
of § 90.425. Use of frequencies not
designated by a ‘‘PP’’ in the coordinator
column of the frequency table in
paragraph (c)(3) of this section, is conditional
on the approval of the coordinator

corresponding to each frequency.

I am not with the Enforcement Bureau. Aside from that statement, I am not a member of RR to be the "radio police." This is my hobby, too. You asked a question and I answered to the best of my ability. Sorry you don't like my answer. I do know directly that the FCC is falling on hungry times and if anyone didn't care before, they still won't care, but they will not be caring while looking for revenue opportunities.

Final point - this speaks to an agency's integrity: Say I bought a motorcycle and I didn't have a motorcycle license. Then I wake up and think I don't need one, my regular license is enough. I get pulled over for some reason and I'm not authorized to be driving that thing. I explain to the officer that I felt i didn't need one. He comes back with a stern face (after laughing in the car) and orders me off the motorcycle. Basically doing his job. I would be wrong for bending the rules to my convenience but the agency who may be issuing me a violation and impounding my motorcycle is fine in bending the rules for their convenience. Exceeding the parameters of authorization is not okay. There comes a time where responsible law enforcement administrators have to walk the walk by complying with the laws themselves, not enforcing one set and breaking another on an a la carte basis.

I would also be wary about a shop who cuts corners by creating excuses to skirt the rules, but that's just me.

Go ahead, have the last word. Deal me out.

Essexscan

There was a drill this morning, Involving atleast Newark PD-FD and parts of Essex County Police. Others involved but i couldn't ID. Drill involved a fire in a train tunnel with injuries. I only caught the tailend of the drill as it ended about 12pm est.

Status
Not open for further replies.